Qustion about images not opening?

I am trying to open a .psd file that is 2048x2048 and am getting a message that reads "Not enough memory to open file." Now this may sound stupid to some of you but I am not a computer buff...so my question is, The message I am getting, does it mean that my computer does not have enough RAM/Memory to open the file, or is it to say that Paint.net does not have enough allocated memory to open the file - and if thats the case is there something I can do to give it (Paint.net) more memory so that I can open the file? Edit-this may help a little more but the message I am getting is from the paint.net program, but after my computer tells me I am low on virtual memory. Like I said...I know this may sound stupid to some of you but I am not computer literate.

138designsBanner.jpg

Yes. How much do you have now?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I'd recommend against upgrading until you know how much you have. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

probably about 30-40 layers. I don't have this issue when the file is 1024x1024 in size...it takes about 30 seconds to load and may drag a little when I throw a command at it and reduce the number of layers but that was before I upgraded to 1GB of ram, so I have a feeling that this has something to do with the programming itself...because I hate to be a traitor here, because I prefer paint.net to any other imaging/painting program I have, but gimp opens it with no problems or issues and opens the 2048x2048 image with all the layers in about 5 seconds. I know that the programming in Paint.net is far superior to gimp, I just can't seem to figure out why Paint.net has an issue with this? If anyone has some more educated help to offer I would appreciate it! That's not to say that the responses so far are not educated I am just trying to understand what the issue is and how to resolve it because I know very little about computers and/or programming.

138designsBanner.jpg

The file is WAY too large. The way Paint.NET works (until version 4.0), it simply will not open a file that large.

Here's Rick's explanation:

Paint.NET's architecture is such that it must:

1) Hold the entire image in memory

2) Have a bitmap used for compositing the image

3) Have a scratch surface

(3) is not always in use, but it's important to have it allocated because it makes error handling much simpler. If you clicked on the Clone Stamp and suddenly got an out of memory error, that would be lame. (2) is not always important, as a single layer image effectively needs no compositing.

So, to compute the memory requirements for an image, the following formula can be used:

(W x H x 4) x (L + 2)

W is the width of the image in pixels, H is the height in pixels, 4 is because each pixel takes 4 bytes, L is the number of layers, and the +2 accounts for (2) and (3) above.

So for your 7680x2880 image, which I assume has 1 layer, the total memory required is:

(7680 x 2880 x 4) x (1 + 2)

= (88473600) x (3)

= 265,420,800

= 253.125 MB RAM

When you resize an image, you must have enough memory to hold the image at both its old and new sizes. Other factors influence how much memory is available. For instance, just because there is still 1 GB of virtual address space available does not mean that there is 1 GB available contiguously.

Programs like Photoshop and The GIMP have complicated memory managers that tile the image, swapping it out to scratch pads (disk) as necessary. This impacts coding complexity because every part of the application that works with the image must take the tiling in to consideration. It also affects performance, but has the advantage of being able to work with much larger images. For Paint.NET, I purposely chose a design that enabled coding simplicity for many reasons.

If you have a 64-bit CPU and OS, you will have a much harder time running out of memory. You may also look into the /3GB switch for the boot.ini file, although I do not know for sure that this will help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... E05B0ABAAA

So...two gigs probably won't be even close to enough if it's an image with a massive pixel size.

thank you for the explanation......so when is 4.0 coming out?...lol or would anyone care to loan me 10 g's so I can buy me one of them top-o-the-line dells that go for about 14 g's? nah...j/k...I pretty much got it figured to open the file in gimp (booooo) and then remove all the layers that I don't need, merge the ones I don't need to edit, re-save as a different .psd, open in paint.net and then have my way with it. But thank you again for all your help, this was driving me batty.

138designsBanner.jpg