Image Quality - reduction blurs image

I've scoured the boards for help on the topic (and looked at the help file), but I can't seem to find anything specific on my question. I currently have a wallpaper image at 1024 x 768 with multiple layers, and I want to have to versions of the image (one at the original pixel size, and the other at 800 x 600). However, when I shrink the pdn image to the smaller size for saving to jpg, the image blurs. Is there any way to sharpen the entire image with multiple layers or should the image be reduced in pixel size, saved as a jpg, and then sharpened to the best of my ability?

Thanks in advance for a response!

I've scoured the boards for help on the topic (and looked at the help file), but I can't seem to find anything specific on my question. I currently have a wallpaper image at 1024 x 768 with multiple layers, and I want to have to versions of the image (one at the original pixel size, and the other at 800 x 600). However, when I shrink the pdn image to the smaller size for saving to jpg, the image blurs. Is there any wsiay to sharpen the entire image with multiple layers or should the image be reduced in pixel size, saved as a jpg, and then sharpened to the best of my ability?

Thanks in advance for a response!

In the Resize dialog there is an option for several different resizing algorithms. There is Bicubic, Bilinear, Nearest Neighbor, and Best Quality (uses Supersampling when sizing down and Bicubic when scaling up).

Make sure you try them all, though I can guarantee you right now that Nearest Neighbor won't be the look you're after ;)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I've tried both saving a reduced jpg and playing with all the resizing algorithms (bilinear appears to work best), but the only thing which comes close to matching the different sizes is sharpening the smaller jpg image. The match isn't perfect, but it seems there's no other way to adapt to the change in pixel dimensions.

When you resize down, it's just a fact of life that you'll lose some information. But there are things you can do; try running Tanel's Sharpen+ plugin, or even the built-in sharpen effect in Paint.NET.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Glad to help! :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I was so excited when I found this post after doing a search, because I am having a similar problem and have been trying to sort it out for about a week. Tanel's Sharpen+ plugin sounds like just what I needed.

However, I have downloaded it and extracted it but it is a dll file and it won't open. It says I need to know what program created it.

Am I doing something wrong? I know I am probably doing something very basic wrong, but can't figure it out I have not had this problem opening a file before, but then again I guess I probably don't open a lot of dll files.

please help? :cry: