gradient on curved edges.

I know there is a gradient blur plugin that simulates a feather effect on edges...however, I want to be able to have this effect along a curved line. I attempted to put use the gradient plugin and was unsuccessful. I also tried using the gradient tool to place a transparency gradient along the edges in segments. However after viewing with a background, it looked bad, and simply uneven. I left one segment with that transparency gradient for your viewing.

2167_d4282add74277f3d4966ba9d3a52e1e5

Anyone know how to get it done well?

thanks for the help.

In addition to what Bugster said:

1. [*:4c8smsj3]Draw the line on a new layer, then select everything above it.[*:4c8smsj3]Make another new layer and press Backspace to fill the selection.[*:4c8smsj3]Press Ctrl + I to invert the selection. Then try using Drop Shadow with an X value of 0. Y value and blur to your preference.[*:4c8smsj3]Press Ctrl + I again and press delete. The top of curve will look jaggy, select the curve and move it down a pixel or two.

gradientcurve.jpg

Was that too hard to follow? :shock:

I mean... I typed it and I can barely understand it. :wink:

You could also draw a straight line and drag a gradient beneath it, and then use the Sine Waves plugin to make it wavy.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

or you could just manually do it, color in the colors of the gradient you want and the shape you want them in, make sure you merge all the colors onto one layer. then motion blur it at 200, mess with the angle to get it how you want it.

121213121.jpg

^^I know this doesnt look great i just did it quickly, but using this method you can acheive wat your going for pretty easily. plus you can use as many/patterns colors as you want

japannese.jpg

Support Our Troops, End The War

Here is my attempt at using glow - looks good, not sure why there are jagged edges..

Radius 2, Brightness 94, Contrast 16

2167_f3b3acc6f72e94b962662351f6b08286

here's the one with just using gaussian blur - close, but no cigar

2167_d0ec64e38fd6e82f04980a51d6aed0fd

here's the one using motion blur, not quite where i want it to be

2167_0de7facc3a816102e4a8c9913657deab

Here's the one i tried using the drop shadow method mentioned earlier.. I had to repeat the process for the lower part of the image.

2167_c973621de64f068ddcea662efa2ef0b4

Here's the one with the sine wave plugin effect. I like this, but it produced jagged edges that had a darker border

2167_95d49b419c09c74b138789e7980a26ef

'

I changed layer properties of the wave alone, changing the blend mode to "lighten." It looked better, but still some jagged edges. I realize its not quite the result i was hoping for, but closer, i need to remake the wave with a more careful blend.

2167_60ae7c1f50ede2e5b50654acd921d2a7

It was slightly improved in normal blending with drop shadow and gaussian blur

Verdict...i think the sine wave and glow effects worked best at this point...if glow didn't have those jagged edges that would be great.

I want to modify the image to the point where the two images are fairly 3D in appearance, with shadows and appropriate lighting along the line..much like the edges of two small pools of paint on a table, the edges of the two pools beside each other...any suggestions?

My method is similar to Wither's...

Fill your background layer with the purple. Add a new layer and draw your curved line in a thick black, about 20px will do the trick. Then use the paint brush to fill in the transparent area above the line with black as well. Set the top layers blending mode to 'Screen'.

Now, just run the drop shadow plugin with these settings:1624_0e7e2c1e18cae0e4d83e81b7f58fb7b5

Here are my results:1624_88d886f8b2faef43c732d1e862c99909

With a second black curve layer and different Drop Shadow settings, I got this:1624_734d13e36e7286e38f989064569479cf

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

My method is similar to Wither's...

Fill your background layer with the purple. Add a new layer and draw your curved line in a thick black, about 20px will do the trick. Then use the paint brush to fill in the transparent area above the line with black as well. Set the top layers blending mode to 'Screen'.

Here are my results:[attachment=1]LineBlend1.png[/attachment]

I like the first one. The lighting however appears to be straight from the top...any way to use shadows to change lighting perspective to top right corner? (I'm experimenting on the side right now)....