two tutorials conspicuous by their absence

:wink: Hi, I am frustrated by two tutorials conspicuous by their absence either her or on YouTube. These tutorials should clearly be near the top of any tutorial list as they help new users determine the extend of Paint.net usefullness.

If this problem is already solved PLEASE tell me where.

The first is how to stack image layers on the same size background. I need to make web pages, flyers, etc where the background is 8.5 x 11 and then at the top, in a new layer is a banner 8.5 x 3.5. Then in a new layer there are images on top of the banner background, text on top of those etc.

___Bruce the tutorial for this is here:

Second is book and CD covers. These are typically wrap-around; you want to compose the front, back and spine portions all in the same image. This requires chopping up the page into rectangles that can be assigned unique colors, then in new layers, images and text on top.

___Bruce the tutorial for this is here:

If Paint.net CANNOT do one or both of these, that would be very good info. The parameters of what Paint.net can and cannot do are unclear to me and bound to be unclear to other newbies.

You suggest using search. That's what I've been doing for three hours over the past month!

__ Bruce, the search term for stacking images of different shapes on a same size background is _____________________

__ Bruce the search term for making wrap around covers is _____________

You suggest using search. That's what I've been doing for three hours over the past month!

__ Bruce, the search term for stacking images of different shapes on a same size background is _____________________

__ Bruce the search term for making wrap around covers is _____________

I saw this somewhere in the tutorial section. stry searching for page 5+ and i Guess it was Buzzkil who did it.

WHATZ.png

wear our signature and earn 50 studiocredits. pm me your username if you want to participate.

This thread is out of place, it's more suited to General Discussion & Questions. Ah, I can see it's already been moved there.

Anyway...

There's really no tutorial for this effect specifically (that I've seen). Paint.NET can do it, but you'll have to size everything yourself.

You can enable rulers and measure by inches like so:

rulers.jpg

Once you've done that, go to Image -> Resize :Resize: or Image -> Canvas Size :CanvasSize: and set the image dimensions to 8.5x11". (you'll have to change the dropbox to inches if it isn't already.) You'll probably want to raise the DPI as well for printing.

From there you can measure where 3.5" is at and design accordingly.

The same is true of the CD case, if you can obtain the dimensions of the cover, then you can just input that as the canvas size.

You'll probably want to raise the DPI as well for printing.

I'm doin' a T-shirt contest and the rules say:

Images must be 2000 pixels by 2000 pixels in 200 dpi.

I set the pixels by goin' to canvas size, my question is; how EXACTLY do you set the DPI's I can't find anything in the menus to set DPI. Please help quickly.

Deviant_ID_by_punkmama-1.png

Check out my DeviantArt gallery.

All my photomanips are made with PDN

I set the pixels by goin' to canvas size, my question is; how EXACTLY do you set the DPI's I can't find anything in the menus to set DPI. Please help quickly.

When you're creating a new image, set it to 2000 px wide and 2000 px tall, with a pixels/inch of 200. :-) DPI and PPI are the same thing, essentially.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

When you're creating a new image, set it to 2000 px wide and 2000 px tall, with a pixels/inch of 200. :-) DPI and PPI are the same thing, essentially.

frigin' sweet, thank you very much :D

Deviant_ID_by_punkmama-1.png

Check out my DeviantArt gallery.

All my photomanips are made with PDN