Print "Actual" Size Suggestion

The crappy Windows Print "wizard" does not have much of any choice when it comes to printing non-standard images sizes. If something is not a wallet, 3x5, 4x6, 5x7, or 8x10, it makes it one of those. And if it is a small image, it gets all pixelated.

So here is my suggestion... Dump the wizard and go with a true print something that has a "Print Actual Size" selection.

It would mean rewriting the printing functionality from scratch and isn't something we'll do because it would take months if implementation and debugging.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

The crappy Windows Print "wizard" does not have much of any choice when it comes to printing non-standard images sizes. If something is not a wallet, 3x5, 4x6, 5x7, or 8x10, it makes it one of those. And if it is a small image, it gets all pixelated.

So here is my suggestion... Dump the wizard and go with a true print something that has a "Print Actual Size" selection.

I ran into this exact problem yesterday. My image was less than 8x10, so I simply resized the canvas size on my image to 8x10. The image itself was still its original size (smaller than 8x10) and I put it in the middle of the page. Then, in the print wizard, I picked the 8x10 option, and it printed out to almost perfect scale.

It would mean rewriting the printing functionality from scratch and isn't something we'll do because it would take months if implementation and debugging.

Scanning is the main motivation behind this. Printing is much less of a problem, and we may revise it in a future release.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

You could just drag the file into another app. If you needed to print the "real" size, use a broswer such as Firefox or if you had to, IE.

EDIT: You must use an image format such as .JPG, .PNG, .GIF, etc... not the .PDN file.

I am new to Paint.NET - GREAT program congrats. Windows Photo Printing Wizard layout selection makes it impossible to print a collage of a specific size. I have spend 'hours' resizing my pictures into a colage only not to be able to print it in that size. What other options are there - ways arround it? Thanks

I also did this...I made a big, 24x30 collage (I also spent hours), and I found I could not print it to size. Instead, I broke the image up into 8x10 sections, and printed these out one-by-one, and then I assembled them as a poster. Obviously, there are some quality issues here, as it would be much nicer to print onto a single, large sheet, but for what I needed, this method worked great.

Neil's browser trick works too...

• 10 years later...

I print the image from GIMP when I need to print with proper scaling, it's very simple in GIMP. Most other things are more difficult (I'm not a GIMP expert), but the printing is more flexible and fairly intuitive.

This thread is ten years old Joe. Around here that's a good reason to let it die.

If you wish to restart a conversation please just start a new thread. Thanks :D

<locked>