The Gamers Discussion Thread

DarkShock

The PS3 is a great system. Sony's marketing just sucks. Oh, and the PS3 is about a generation ahead of its time; it's just too darn expensive.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I presently have no Next-Gen systems, unless you count handhelds, in which case I do have a PSP. The PS3 is the first system on my "to get" list, followed closely by the 360, then the DS, then the Wii. I plan to have all systems eventually - I'm a collector like that. Heck, I bought a Tiger Game.com, a handheld system made in 1997 that had a total of 20 games made for it over its lifetime. Some systems, though, I plan to get sooner than others.

I think the amount of bloody potato the PS3 is catching is disproportionate to the amount of valid complaints against it. It's certainly not perfect, but it's nowhere near as bad as the anti-fanboys would make one believe. It seems to me like a lot of hive-mind ignorance, as if Sony-bashing is the new cool thing to do, like Windows-bashing or Bush-bashing used to be.

The thing I love about Sony is that they don't abandon their last-gen systems. The XBOX was dead the moment the 360 hit the shelves. The PS2 is still going - granted many of the game it's receiving are bargain-bin fodder, but they're new games for people unable or unwilling to upgrade. The PSone had basically a 10-year life span, and it looks like the PS2 will match that. If the past is any example, Microsoft will move on to the NextBox in 2009 (the XBOX had a meager 4-year life span).

The PS3 right now is an expensive boat-load of untapped potential. In two years, it will be the system to have.

*Dan's Prediction* :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I'd love to get a PS3, but my parents won't let me hook it up to the little-used HDTV downstairs, and the only other TV we have is a 12" wide CRT which is so close to its corresponding seatage, it gives any watcher an instant headache from the simultaneous squinting and eye-widening that one must employ to watch it. The only way I can see me getting one is by getting a small HDTV for my PC, but then that would end up doubling the price I hope to spend...

.:EDITBECAUSEIDON'TWANTTODOUBLEPOST:.

I didn't have you down as a Sony fan, Dan... It may have been whatever passes for feminine intuition in the male brain, but I always thought you might play PC games or games on a retro system...

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

Wow. So much hate for the PS3. What a shame :(

i have no hate for the ps3 its awsome. i have 1 :D and d.a i agree it is ahead (next gen) but it is slightly expensive. mine was "only" about 300 pounds.the x-box is just an atempt of the play station. microsoft are a programming company not a gaming company. the ps series will always be better imo and sorry to hear that your ds broke js92 i got one when it first came out but i dont use it now. psp's are better :D and i have a psp :D

section8.png

psn id: R3V-fiR3

I feel that the PSP is just a little bit of a rip-off. £200 or so for a dysfunctional hand-held console that can only use Sony's failed proprietary format, UMD, and nothing else, with a ridiculously low battery life and an overall lack of good games and inventive-ness. The DS is at least inventive and cheapish...

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

You think the Xbox is a playstation attempt? Wow. Just wow. I guess that makes the PS1 a SNES attempt, and the NES and Atari 5400 (I think that is the model version) attempt. And Sega was a Nintendo attempt. Just because I company enters the console war doesnt mean that its just trying to make a previous console attempt. The reason is always one thing: money. Microsoft (capitalists) found that there was money to make in the console wars. And if I am correct, the Xbox was far more powerful than the PS2, hence the reason the gaming library wasnt as big as the PS2, hence the reason why the PS2 did better. Please, dont make this a flame war, keep the console debate relatively intelligent.

signature.png

the Xbox was far more powerful than the PS2, hence the reason the gaming library wasnt as big as the PS2, hence the reason why the PS2 did better.

why would somthing do better if it is less powerful?? anyway i dont really care what anybody thinks i think the ps series is always going to be better and the x-box will be good.

section8.png

actually the wii has loads of sales because its cheap and a new gaming experience anyways i think we should move to a new topic how about games...

anyone got assasins creed?? ive almost completed it and i know the entire story behind the ending. dont worry i wont reveal it :D

section8.png

The PS3 right now is an expensive boat-load of untapped potential. In two years, it will the system to have.

*Dan's Prediction* :wink:

QFT. 8 cores (1 PPE, 7 SPEs) @ 3.2 GHz....!

The PS3 is not just a console. It accounts for a massive portion of the folding@home distributed computing project. In fact, folding@home is now the most powerful distributed computer in existence, in large part thanks to the PS3.

It's also great for other types of computer clusters... Render farms, maybe. The one problem I see with that is the weird shape. Not exactly stackable, really...

Just thinking about all this horsepower already available in my house makes me itch to try something... UNfortunately, we don't have a working TV right now.

But as soon as they fix it, I'm gonna install paint-mono* on my PS3 and see how it performs :D

(*paint-mono = Paint.NET port to Mono, allowing it to run on Linux, Unix, Max, etc...)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I have always wanted to run Linux or Mac (it is powerpc based, right?) on a ps3. I just dont have the money just to run an OS (I would rather get a PC for that money)

Assassin's Creed I have beaten. It was really fu :D My only complaint is not subtitles, and the investigations were extremely repetitive. :|

Also, has anybody tried this? I have mapped it to work with Paint.NET using the shortcut mapper

signature.png

I have always wanted to run Linux or Mac (it is powerpc based, right?) on a ps3. I just dont have the money just to run an OS (I would rather get a PC for that money)

Only Linux.

A) Mac OSX is Intel-based now, not Power.

B) PS3 is built on the Cell Broadband Engine.

C) Apple will never let people run their OS on another system, especially a gaming console. They're more likely to create their own console...

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

They are discontinuing the 80gb version of the PS3. That is terrible marketing. You had a 20gb version and a 60gb version, than the 20gb version got discontinued, and the 40gb was introduced. Then the 60gb (End of true backwards compatibility) was pulled with the announcement of the 80gb version, which is now being pulled. So now customers dont know about any solid versions and the true backwards compatibility for the PS2 games are gone (it is still possible by emulation though). And people use to make fun of the Xbox 360 versions! Ha!

Also, anybody read the statement the head of EA sent to Fox CORP. about their review of Mass Effect? Any opinions if so?

signature.png

I feel that, vis-a-vis the 60 gig, no, 20 gig, no scrap the 20 gig one, no bring in a 40 gig one and get rid of the 60 gig one issue that Sony were using us, the consumer, on whom they rely for everything, as guinea pigs for their testing. Had they brought out the 40 gig PS3 with no B/C and not announced the release date so early, and been forced to change it every other week, I would think much more of Sony than I do at present, which is that they're a big ponderous, clumsy company who make good products eventually.

~John Lennon

Along those same lines, if Sony continues their tradition, I wonder what the PSthree will look like? :wink:

I have the PSone and the PStwo models...

Long link. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Well, it looks like a black, shiny mini-fridge now, so I'm guessing it shall look like a black, shiny Planck Length-fridge by 2012! Impossibly small electronics FTW!

~John Lennon

I definitely think it will be PS4, The New Nintendo system will be the Wii Nii, (Nii means 2 or something) lol.

Person 1: Wanna come over?

Person 2: Sorry, I'm having fun with my Wii Nii.

JK

I have no idea what the xbox will be...

1014png.png

..:The Official Sass Giver:..

..:Xbox Live Gamertag: Dutch Man Dann:..

Nintendo chose the word "Wii" for the simple reason that it was easily recognized worldwide not as a word, but as something that seemed like an exultation of fun ("Whee!"). I doubt they'd throw that concept out to tag a "Super" or "2" on there. I DEFINITELY don't think they'd risk the total DEBACLE that would happen if they named it the Wii Nii. :-)