Tool problem - Keeping Gradients separate

Im totally new to Paint.NET, so I wanted to test if I could do something good looking. Started with a curvy line, then I tried to use the gradient tool to make it look like it follows the line. What happens is that I can only have one gradient at a time. If I make any changes and go back to the gradient tool, the changes disappear (even the last made gradient) and a NEW gradient shows up. After one second of thinking I came up that there should be something to do to prevent it from happening, I just don't know how.

Hopefully many of you here on the forum know what to do, thats why I came here to ask. :wink:

Adde.jpg

First, I'd change the thread title to something that doesn't break The Rules.

Now that you've done that (you still haven't? Go do it now! Now, I say!!) I can tell you that Paint.NET gradients take up the entire selection (or entire layer if you have no selection active). You can get around this by drawing your new gradient on separate layers.

hmm I'm not too sure what you're trying to do but if you're trying to make a gradient follow the path of a curve, I think the best way to do that would be to make a solid color background, then draw a thick curved line across the middle or wherever. Then use the gaussian blur effect to heavily blur it so the two colors blend into each other. Also keep in mind that is just a quick generic way, there are many other ways to go about it, from using the very powerful Curves adjustment tool, adjusting the contrast, using the different layer blends, and the list goes on.

I hope this at least points you in the right direction. If not, I'm sorry.

What Im trying to do is two gradients that follows a curvy line in the middle. One gradient from the top and down, and the other from the line and down. I just tried to use multiple gradients in the same layer but it didn't work.

Adde.jpg

Alrighty, you'd need three layers for that. Assuming that your curvey line goes all the way from one side of the image to the other, you can:

1. Create three new layers (you can leave Background alone, as it will be completely covered by the end).

2. On the topmost of the three new layers (Layer 4 by the default naming scheme), draw your curvey line.

3. Switch to the Magic Wand, and change the blue Tolerance bar that appears across the top to 68%.

4. With Layer 4 selected, click below the curvey line to select the bottom half of the image.

5. Select Layer 2, switch to the Gradient tool, and draw your bottom gradient in this selection.

6. Select Layer 4 again, switch back to the Magic Wand, and this time click above the curvey line.

7. Select Layer 3, switch to the Gradient tool, and draw your top gradient in this selection.

8. Press [Ctrl]+[D], or choose the menu option Edit -> Deselect

This will place your top and bottom gradients on two different layers, leaving the curvey line across the middle to separate them.

Let me know if that works for you. :)

Happy editing!

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Actually my interest is now piqued. The solution you got wasn't really a gradient following a curvy line, just two straight gradients separated by a curving line. Would this even be possible in Paint.NET? What I have in mind is like the linear (refleced) gradient :LinearReflectedGradient: but with a curving line in the center a la :LineCurveTool: rather than a straight one. If we could pull this off (possibly through a plugin), it would be a really powerful effect.

Draw a linear reflected gradient and use the Sine Wave plugin to make it wavy. :-)

I'm going to lock this thread, since the original question was answered. If you have any further questions that can't be answered through the help file or searchpaint.net , just open a new thread. Thanks!

Thread Locked

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.