slow opening mutiple images

Maleko

hi. sorry if anyone has reported this bug before. if you open multiple images in paint.net by dropping image files in its window, paint.net will be hang for few seconds everytime it tries to open the next images despite small image files like few KB

paint.net v3.22

I just tryed to open 3 images all at once. Some were in KB and others in MB. As soon as I hit open they all loaded faster then I could move my mouse. This would not seem to be a paint.NET problem but a computer problem. Most computers are made to be office / normal user systems. They are fast enough for most people and can do stuff like play most games but when it comes down to doing high load work then they get problems.

I am not sure what you have for a system but I will break it down for my computer.

3 images get loaded into ram from the hard drive at a speed of 1.5 Gb's a second. Yes that very fast and even faster seek times as the hard drive rotational speed is 10,000 RPM (most users hard drive are 7200 RPM). Now the 3 images wait in RAM to be to processed by the CPU. More RAM you got the better so I got 2 GB and when the CPU is ready the RAM sends the data at a 4-4-4-12 latency to the CPU (Most computers have 1GB of RAM or more and RAM is very cheap to buy now. However it also nice to have fast ram if you do a lot of high end stuff like modeling, gaming, programing, ect... so I am not sure what normal computers latencys are as I use RAM made for high end gaming). Now the CPU will process your data and whatever you got for a processor will most likely be fast enough for images as they all got nice speeds these days. I am using a E6700 with 2 cores doing 2.67 GHz each.

If you see anything wrong in there just let me know as I may have messed up something (I got the flu and it's 1:00 AM here. Plus I am to lazy to go over and look at my A+ hardware book.)

You may also want to look into doing things like defrags and disk clean ups to try and get better proformence from your system.

Good Luck

hi thanks for replying

@Rick Brewster

yeah im fully aware of all those factors but im having this issue with v3.22 only so i went back to v3.10 and after reinstalling i tried to load bunch of images into it. surprisingly all of them loaded quickly without any irresponsiveness like i aaid in the #1 post. so what could possibly be a curplit here?

is there any way to produce log in paintdotnet to trace down this problem?

I don't how if this is related, but since 3.20 I have sometimes similar problems, but for single images. Sometimes they open up without any problem, but in other cases PDN freezes for around 5 seconds and then displays the thumbnails in the MDI and Layers window.

At least this can't be related to CPU speed, it is also not related to other programs running or the file size - I checked it.

• 1 month later...

I too have this problem exactly as has been described. Sometimes the images will open will no delay, but at other times they will take 4-6 seconds to load fully.

Turning off virus protection software doesn't affect load time.

My computer specs exceed requirements. Currently running 3.20.

I too have this problem exactly as has been described. Sometimes the images will open will no delay, but at other times they will take 4-6 seconds to load fully.

A) This thread is two months dead.

B) 4-6 seconds isn't really that long.

C) You need to be running the latest version of Paint.NET to seek support on this forum. (At this time, v3.22 and v3.30 Beta 1)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

A) This thread is two months dead.

B) 4-6 seconds isn't really that long.

C) You need to be running the latest version of Paint.NET to seek support on this forum. (At this time, v3.22 and v3.30 Beta 1)

QFT. Thread Locked

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.