How to Install Plugins ×

Text Steganography BETA

I Like Pi

This works like BoltBait's plugin, but encodes plain text instead of another image. Since images take more space to store than plain text, this is more efficient than hiding an image containing text. Plus, the text is kept as text.

Known issue: decoding can be slow if no data is encoded or the settings don't match

Compiled DLL

Download

Source Code and Demo Image

Released under the MIT License. In short, do whatever you want except for removing the license.

(NOTE: You must save the image, then open it. Right click -> Copy will ruin the alpha channel.)

TextSteganography_source.png

Bugs, bugs, bugs... If you set the Bits/channel option to anything but 2, the decoder will freeze PdN before you have a chance to change the option in that dialog.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

That's the issue I mentioned in the first post. It's not frozen indefinitely, but it is taking a very long time. When encoding text, it appends U+0000 to signal the end of the text, but when the settings don't match, the decoder has to look at every pixel. Even so, I don't see why it's so slow, since the code only does some bitwise operations and appends to a StringBuilder.

It's not frozen indefinitely, but it is taking a very long time.

I'd consider 8+ hours pretty close to indefinitely...

I started it before school.

and when I came back, it was still frozen.

At that point I killed it, 'cause I kinda needed to use Paint.NET...

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Turns out most of the time is spent setting the text of the TextBox and almost no time is spent undoing the steganography. :shock: A Google search confirms that TextBox doesn't like long strings. I've changed it to use a RichTextBox so its a little faster. It sometimes chokes on bad Unicode data though.

EDIT: typos

• 3 weeks later...

No. It encodes text within the image so that the plugin is needed to view the text once again.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

That's the issue I mentioned in the first post. It's not frozen indefinitely, but it is taking a very long time. When encoding text, it appends U+0000 to signal the end of the text, but when the settings don't match, the decoder has to look at every pixel. Even so, I don't see why it's so slow, since the code only does some bitwise operations and appends to a StringBuilder.

What!? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can you use some

System.Security.Cryptography (or whatever it is)

so we can encode it with a password? So pretty much;

• [*:2debk22q]You insert the text & settings
    [*:2debk22q]The plugin encodes it (into gobbledy-gook)
    [*:2debk22q]The result is inserted verbatim
    [*:2debk22q]The encode function is invoked, so the encryption is reversed as it comes out,
    [*:2debk22q]The user gets the plain text (if they put in the right settings, otherwise they get Chinese. :wink: )

I used it once, but I forgot the namespace. You should be able to find it again.

Although I still don't see any value in real encryption, I'll be happy to add in your contributions when you're done.

While I haven't taken a look at this particular plugin, from looking at the original plugin when it was first released it would seem to me that it should be very simple to more effectively hide (from a visual perspective) whatever you're trying to hide.

Boltbait's plugin suffered from users being able to occasionally see the "hidden" image without decoding it. This was because it was something of a simple overlay.

I'm assuming that you're doing this by replacing the n least significant bits of a channel (I'd avoid the alpha channel entirely if I were you) with your data.

One simple way to obfuscate any apparent patterns in your input (be it an image, where it may be extremely visible, or text where a repeating pattern might become apparent) is to just do a bitwise XOR on your input (the "^" operator in C#, I believe) with some random data.

So, pick a seed (hardcode it, we're looking for visual masking, not security), seed the random number generator with it, start generating random numbers, and xor your input with it. This will turn your output into an apparently completely random series of bits, destroying any patterns that might be present. It would appear as a very light noise in the image rather than a possibly identifiable pattern. I've been tempted for a while to modify Boltbait's original plugin to do this, but never got around to it.

Another idea was to apply some simple compression (gzip, perhaps) to allow the input to be potentially larger than the available space, but this introduces additional UI complications.

Thanks for your input, but personally I think it's already pretty hard to notice the text. First, the default of two bits per channel (a maximum difference of 3, which is from 00 to 11 or vice versa) is barely noticeable to human vision. Second, since this is text stored as numbers, there won't be much of a visual pattern. For an example, look at my source code/demo image. It looks like it's pure white. Compression sounds interesting, but a 100*100 image can already hold 2500 Unicode characters at 1 bit per channel.

• 1 month later...

Is this plugin still being developed? (it's still a beta version, right?) :?:

Anyways, thanks! :D

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

~Dr. Seuss