Error code 1603

I installed Paint.NET v3.10 onto my memory stick so i could use it on differerent computers but when i lost it, i couldn't uninstall the part left behind on the computer, it wanted me to insert a disc or find an msi file. Can anyone help?

Hang on a minute, the latest version is 3.22 not 3.10. I'm sorry if this doesn't help but at least use the latest version. It may save everyone's time in future.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh

I installed Paint.NET v3.10 onto my memory stick so i could use it on differerent computers but when i lost it, i couldn't uninstall the part left behind on the computer, it wanted me to insert a disc or find an msi file. Can anyone help?

Read through this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=854

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Hang on a minute, the latest version is 3.22 not 3.10. I'm sorry if this doesn't help but at least use the latest version. It may save everyone's time in future.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh

I tried but i cant because it wants the v3.10 .msi file so it can uninstall the old part left on the laptop and put the new one on.

Read through this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=854

Read through it allready from another post, it doesnt help thanks.

Hi, new here ..

I'm installing paint.net 3.22 and getting the 1603 error. I did search around but none of the other postings re: error 1603 seem to apply.

I've never had any previous versions of paint.net installed.

I'm using win xp sp2.

* I repaired .net 2.0 (didn't work..).. so I uninstalled it, rebooted, and reinstalled it (redownloaded from MS website)

* I checked hkey local machine permissions and explicity added myself (even though i am in administrators group).

* I tried both quick install and custom with almost every concievable option selected/deseleced - still didn't work.

I am installing to the default directory -- c:/program files/paint.NET/

I have deleted the registry key and any files leftover after the failed install before attempting to reinstall.

I get the following critical msi error in my windows application log:

Product: Paint.NET v3.22 -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action _577D73A5_8502_4A32_A3DC_26C3DEF80357, location: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\SetupNgen.exe, command: /install DESKTOPSHORTCUT=1 PDNUPDATING=0 SKIPCLEANUP=0 "PROGRAMSGROUP=" QUEUENGEN=1

Thank you go anyone that can help :)

ETA: I just realized that in my event log it's error 1722 and not 1603 as I stated. The installer says error 1603 but the eventvwr is code 1722

Thanks again

-Katie

I merged this post into this thread as they have an identical problem.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting that error too. It seems to be the same error as in viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21585&p=122008 , and I also tried each step in the sticky. I never had Paint.net on this computer before and I have full administration priviledges. It seems that this error occures only for the last few versions of pdn.

Anyone got an idea?

edit: I installed v 3.10 without any errors. But if I try to update, I still get that error #1603/1722.

It seems that you've included an prerequisite which causes errors on some systems. :(

Error code 1722 is RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE, "The RPC server is unavailable."

Make sure you haven't stopped or disabled any system services. If you don't know what that means then you probably haven't.

Another thing to try is to repair .NET Framework from the Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs & Features (Vista) control panels. Then, restart the computer. It could be that the aforementioned system service has crashed, and restarting will bring it back up. (or at least, it's the simplest way I can describe to you to get it back up and running)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I did everything here and still the same problem, and it starts with removing the old version... is there anyplace I can download the previous versions, as I know they work on my machine and I need to to do editing....

No, and it's against the rules to ask. :-) Sorry. Keep trying to troubleshoot this one.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Having access to the older version will not help. Please follow the troubleshooting steps listed at the top of this forum in the thread that's in all caps.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm getting the same problem. I've read all the installation problem FAQs, and none of them even mention 1603, let alone offer solutions. I have v3.22, I've got the .NET framework, I've run the repair tool on the .NET framework to check it's clean, and I'm installing to the default location, C:\Program Files\Paint.NET. I get an alert saying it's getting a network error while attempting to read a .msi staging file, and the installer aborts, quoting error 1603. I had Paint.NET v3.22 running fine on my old PC, but now it won't install. Is this some glitch in Paint.NET that makes it incompatible with certain configurations, or is it my PC?

I not sure what the two common errors are for making a boot cd or usb for Paint.NET. I do what what makes the errors as when I did the tutorial I tested Paint.NET on many systems. 1st error is because the computer does not have .NET Framework and the 2nd one is because there is already a install of Paint.NET on the system (not seen much after the copy has been put to cd or usb).

So make sure the computer has .NET Framework.

• 2 weeks later...

This is rather annoying. Luckily I do have a 3.10 install sitting around which is the last version that DOES install. 3.22 did NOT install and 3.30 does NOT install. Both start installing and then pop up the error:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

Interestingly enough 3.30 RC1 did install. Too bad I didn't keep that version around =/ So back to 3.10 until you guys fix this.

This is rather annoying. Luckily I do have a 3.10 install sitting around which is the last version that DOES install. 3.22 did NOT install and 3.30 does NOT install. Both start installing and then pop up the error:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

Interestingly enough 3.30 RC1 did install. Too bad I didn't keep that version around =/ So back to 3.10 until you guys fix this.

This is a old topic. Also the error reported by the the 1st poster of this topic is 1603. You only said "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor." and that does not mean error 1603.

You should make your own topic for your own error. If you posted in this topic because you think it is the same problem then I take it that you also tryed the steps in this topic to fix the problem. Also you read this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=854

Oh and the new version of Paint.NET is 3.30 not 3.22 anymore. You will get no help for installing 3.22 here as Troubleshooting is for the latest version. Sorry it in the rules of the forum.

PS: I see that error you got when i try to install Paint.NET when there is already another version of Paint.NET installed or when someone does not uninstall Paint.NET but delete's it and thinks that will uninstall it.

This is a old topic.

No it isnt.

Also the error reported by the the 1st poster of this topic is 1603. You only said "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor." and that does not mean error 1603.

The error I quoted was the error popped up by windows installer. The paint.net installer reported the failure as 1603.

You should make your own topic for your own error.

No I shouldn't, this topic is the same problem I am having. No working solution is here yet.

If you posted in this topic because you think it is the same problem then I take it that you also tryed the steps in this topic to fix the problem. Also you read this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=854

Nothing at that page addresses this particular issue.

Oh and the new version of Paint.NET is 3.30 not 3.22 anymore. You will get no help for installing 3.22 here as Troubleshooting is for the latest version. Sorry it in the rules of the forum.

omg dude... If you didn't notice I DID SAY 3.30 has the same problem. My only reason for mentioning 3.22 was to inform you as to WHEN the problem was first introduced. Geez... Don't get all butt hurt. 3.30 just came out yesterday.

PS: I see that error you got when i try to install Paint.NET when there is already another version of Paint.NET installed or when someone does not uninstall Paint.NET but delete's it and thinks that will uninstall it.

That isn't what is causing my problem.

There is obviously something in the MSI that is failing on some systems which causes the fatal drop out of the installer. Repairing the .Net framework didn't help me. Restarting Remote Procedure Call services (RPC) didn't help me. There are not really any other solutions around for me to try.

I've tried all previous suggestions, including looking through those old topics and trying what they suggested. I've done the windows installer cleanup, repared .net framework, verified the services were running correctly that were mentioned, etc...

3.30 does not install. 3.10 does. I can uninstall and install 3.10 as much as I want, 3.30 never works.

I guess I'll just try each new release and see if it works - and if not I'll just keep going back to 3.10

I too am having this error.

The drive on which paint.net was installed, failed. This is NOT the same drive as my Windows Vista Ultimate installation. I uninstalled PDN with RevoUninstaller, and deleted all registry items using RegSeeker. I use the Windows Install cleanup utility and there were no references for PDN. I went into services and made sure that Windows Module Installer was running. My temp dir has write and read permissions.

I have read all posts on this topic and cannot find ANY resolution to re-install PDN. It is not my .NET framework because my boot drive or windows install has not changed and all other apps that require .NET FW are running fine (Windows Live Writer and Windows FolderShare).

So why can't the error be fixed? I realize new development is important, but this error is a BIGGIE that many people cannot get past. I AM using the latest version which I just dloaded today. To expect someone to have to format and re-install Windows because we cannot get past this error is ludicrous.

I have a hunch but I need some extra info first:

Step 1 for XP: Click Start, then Run, then type %TEMP% and then enter

Step 1 for Vista: Click the Windows pearl, then type %TEMP% and then enter

Step 2: Find two files, PdnMsiInstall.log and PdnSetupNgenInstall.log

Step 3: Copy the contents of both into a reply to this post. Use the [ code ] tag

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

=== Logging started: 4/21/2008  8:52:34 ===

To install this product, use the setup wizard.

=== Logging stopped: 4/21/2008  8:52:36 ===

=== Logging started: 4/21/2008  8:52:38 ===

Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\Paint.net\Staging\PaintDotNet_806950639.msi

=== Logging stopped: 4/21/2008  8:52:44 ===

This is the PdnMsiInstall.log. I do not have the other file in that directory.