Unable to Save As a jpg file

Hi,

If I open the attached image in Paint.NET I cannot then do a Save As in JPG format. After clicking Save on the Save As dialog, I get the "Save Configuration" dialog with the message "Preview, file size: (error)" (see attached error1.jpg). If I click OK anyway I get an error message "There was an unspecified error while saving the file." (error2.jpg) and a 0-byte file is created. I'm able to save other files in .jpg format (the disk isn't full!) and I can save the attached image as .PNG, open that, then save it as .JPG.

Um, ok - the forum won't let me attach the file because it's too big (1MB). I've uploaded it to my website: http://www.orrison.com/blue%20stripe%20suit-016.jpg

(Why am I just opening the .JPG and then doing Save As .JPG? I'm resizing it, but that step isn't necessary to reproduce the problem.)

Very interesting... Windows Paint, Microsoft Office 2003 Picture Manager, and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer are also unable to save the file. Firefox can, but I suspect that it's just copying the disk file rather than trying to save the image that it has loaded into memory.

Hardware/Software details: Dell Optiplex GX520, Celeron 2.6Ghz, 1GB RAM, 75GB HD (24GB free), Windows XP SP 2 using Paint.NET v3.20 (Final Release build 3.20.2902.32954). Same thing happens at home on my Acer Aspire E300 with 1.5GB RAM, running Windows XP SP 2 using Paint.NET v3.22 (Final Release build 3.22.2933.24445).

Thanks,

Randy Orrison

(I had used the Help / Send feedback or bug report on 28 December, which created an email to paint.net@hotmail.com, but I have received no response of any sort.)

12456_f9a160316e5fd43d570e0a3812afec35

12456_5b7ec02b2b36af4de67179b13221b349

Hi,

If I open the attached image in Paint.NET I cannot then do a Save As in JPG format. After clicking Save on the Save As dialog, I get the "Save Configuration" dialog with the message "Preview, file size: (error)" (see attached error1.jpg). If I click OK anyway I get an error message "There was an unspecified error while saving the file." (error2.jpg) and a 0-byte file is created. I'm able to save other files in .jpg format (the disk isn't full!) and I can save the attached image as .PNG, open that, then save it as .JPG.

Um, ok - the forum won't let me attach the file because it's too big (1MB). I've uploaded it to my website: http://www.orrison.com/blue%20stripe%20suit-016.jpg

(Why am I just opening the .JPG and then doing Save As .JPG? I'm resizing it, but that step isn't necessary to reproduce the problem.)

Very interesting... Windows Paint, Microsoft Office 2003 Picture Manager, and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer are also unable to save the file. Firefox can, but I suspect that it's just copying the disk file rather than trying to save the image that it has loaded into memory.

Hardware/Software details: Dell Optiplex GX520, Celeron 2.6Ghz, 1GB RAM, 75GB HD (24GB free), Windows XP SP 2 using Paint.NET v3.20 (Final Release build 3.20.2902.32954). Same thing happens at home on my Acer Aspire E300 with 1.5GB RAM, running Windows XP SP 2 using Paint.NET v3.22 (Final Release build 3.22.2933.24445).

Thanks,

Randy Orrison

(I had used the Help / Send feedback or bug report on 28 December, which created an email to paint.net@hotmail.com, but I have received no response of any sort.)

I think the image is corrupted in some way. Sorry, but the only way you can fix this is by re-taking the picture.

This is a photo taken at a professional photoshoot with a model, it's a non-trivial and expensive exercise to re-take the photo.

I haven't found a program yet that can't open and display the file and all EXIF meta-data correctly.

If Paint.NET can open it, display it, edit it, save as other format, copy and paste the image, what kind of corruption could there be in the original image file that would prevent it saving it as JPG? And is it not worth investigating what's happening when it tries to save it?

I got the same error, but I got around it by first saving it as a lossless type (such as .PNG or .PDN), then reopening that image and saving as a .JPG.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 weeks later...

It's an error in the GDI+ codec that .NET provides and Paint.NET uses -- it doesn't give us any more information than that, honestly. We just get "Generic GDI+ error" and that's about as good of an error message as we can do.

Best bet is to open it in a program that will take it, then copy+paste it over to Paint.NET.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I seems that the error occurs only in cases where the jpg file size exceeds some 2 MB.

Rick´s best bet with copy + paste works all right, but you risk to loose resolution and file size depending on which program you open the picture with in the first place.

My best advice is to open the jpg file with paint.NET, then do your manipulations and save it as a png file. You can then open this png file using paint.NET and save it as jpg. That procedure does not reduce resolution and file size.

Gosh, that sounds familiar...Oh, right!

I got the same error, but I got around it by first saving it as a lossless type (such as .PNG or .PDN), then reopening that image and saving as a .JPG.

;-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 1 month later...

As far as I can make out after some very frustraiting trouble shooting re: this issue its something to do with jpeg file extention information that the microsoft image tools cannot write - what part of the image manipulation toolkit that microsoft owns does Paint.net use - if any?

Picture Manager & PowerTools Image Resizer are two MS tools which also suffer this problem

You can open and view the image, you cannot save the image at all in the jpeg format.

If you export as *.bmp, then open the image then export back to *.jpg - fine no problem

If you open the oriognal (unsavable jpeg) in Photoshop then resave it as *.jpg (keeping the known EXIF data for example) then I can open and save the file in picture manager with out a problem as a jpg

These pictures were taken on a Nikon D2X - I don't know how relevant this is but its all I have to go on at the moment

Any more information/idea's welcome as I'd like to figure out whats causing this,even if its just for my own peace of mind. It doesn't seem to be related to file size and only happens with jpegs as far as I can tell

Cheers,

Rippsy

• 1 year later...

HI

I also was unable to save my jpg either (which was a scanned drawing). The scan was done by a professional company and all their other pics from other batches are fine. Just 6 pics wouldn't save. Got the same unspecified error message everyone mentioned above. I tried unsucessfully to save it in paint.net as a pdn file but although it was sucessful as a a pdn when I tried to open and resave as a jpg still didn't work.

So I used Irfan viewer which I usually use to do batch conversions of photos into thumbnails. I saved it as a bitmap in Irfan. Then I reopened that bitmap file with paint.net and saved the file sucessfully as a jpg.YEh. All the original files were over 2 MBs so maybe size is an issue but the other pics that were scanned by the same company were also big and I had no problem with them. weird eh?

Anyway - looks like people can get round the problem by using another program like Irfan to save files as bitmaps then resave in Paint.net as jpgs. Good luck everyone!

Digging up very old threads is definately a no-no: [rule=11]Rule #11[/rule]