New Pictorium - We'd like your input

My one concern would be that the galleria would become overrun with PdN poserz; touting non-PdN works as being "made in Paint.NET" just because they ran the glow effect on it.

Some type of regulation or check system would need to be in place to ensure that this doesn't happen. Maybe requiring the *.pdn be uploaded in order for images to be considered for entry in the gallery.

Very ture, I agree it should be made ONLY using PDN.

However, not everybody wants to show the PDN file.

It's something that needs looking into.

I agree with work only slightly modified, may not be considered Paint.NET material, but this program is first and foremost an image editing program. In that, any image edited in Paint.NET should be able to be considered. Of course a side by side before and after would be nice to see. Also I like to use stock photography and stock images created in Chaoscope and various other programs. Sometimes there is so much editing you get an entirely new image. I think that these should be considered also, but with a listing of what was used. Showing more then 100% PDN images allows people to see more possibilities for PDN.

sunsigub8.png

well I certainly like the pictourium ideas, believe me I think the galleria is good but just don't get too elitist over it. I'd like a good cross section of talent showcased.

extremely well done pictures the best of the best,

up and coming talent, pictures by those with innovative ideas

and what exactly constitutes a great picture?...

That's the main reason for the Galleria Discussion, wherein all y'alls can suggest images for inclusion into the Galleria, along with why you feel it deserves the nomination (artistic merit, technical proficiency, notable artist improvement, et cetera). Granted, I'm certain not every image suggested will always make it in, but if there's a valid reason and/or a general consensus, it probably will.

My personal idea for the Galleria is to be somewhat like ClubPaint.NET on deviantART, where the image is included along with a link to the original post, the reasons why it was considered, and possibly a personal message from the artist who made it.

I know we could probably just make a Galleria of Ash, Ash, Ash, Ash, Ash... :wink:

But we too want to avoid any perceived elitism. I'm hoping that having the public discussion will help keep things broad and diverse.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I think we should get a new kind of mod for the Galleria ("Galleria Master" rank?). I think BoltBait, CMD, Ash and Rick have enough work already, and that it would be much better to have someone that's entirely dedicated to the Galleria. Just my two cents. By the way, if my idea is to ever be implemented, I don't want to be a mod.

[Edit] FFS Where is my 500th post :x

well I certainly like the pictourium ideas, believe me I think the galleria is good but just don't get too elitist over it. I'd like a good cross section of talent showcased.

extremely well done pictures the best of the best,

up and coming talent, pictures by those with innovative ideas

and what exactly constitutes a great picture?...

That's the main reason for the Galleria Discussion, wherein all y'alls can suggest images for inclusion into the Galleria, along with why you feel it deserves the nomination (artistic merit, technical proficiency, notable artist improvement, et cetera). Granted, I'm certain not every image suggested will always make it in, but if there's a valid reason and/or a general consensus, it probably will.

My personal idea for the Galleria is to be somewhat like ClubPaint.NET on deviantART, where the image is included along with a link to the original post, the reasons why it was considered, and possibly a personal message from the artist who made it.

I know we could probably just make a Galleria of Ash, Ash, Ash, Ash, Ash... :wink:

But we too want to avoid any perceived elitism. I'm hoping that having the public discussion will help keep things broad and diverse.

then if we get to submit names for this galleria I'd say fine. other wise its just not a real representation of what can be achieved using Paint.Net. there are beginners with many fantastic ideas out there and I'd hate to see that talent stiffled by them feeling not up to the drawing ability of more mature artists (not speaking age wise here but ability wise) It should be a good cross ref , showing the uses of this program. some people only use it to edit pictures, others for backgrounds of pictures myself I mainly use it to solidify an idea in my head to picture form before I attempt to manually draw it.

I say go with the separate forum it will grow, change and evolve over time just the same as everything else here.

I doubt that images created by other graphics applications will be posted in any noticeable amount, if at all.

I also think that there is no reliable way of checking whether PDN was used for an image's complete creation (unless it is obvious - e.g. an effect or tool that PDN doesn't have is quite noticeable in the suspected picture); one must simply be trusting. ;)

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Right now, we don't see too many images posted in The Pictorium that have been created solely in other applications (if any in recent times), and I doubt there will be a dramatic increase with the new board. There are a few users here who use multiple programs (heck, I'm one of them :wink: ), but they respect the board and keep their programs separate. People looking to tout another editor's prowess usually just bash and move on, instead of launching a delicate campaign of subterfuge and deception.

Mandatory .PDN checking will not be enacted on the new board any more than it is now. Meaning "not at all." Maybe I'm crazy, but I trust you guys. :P

~ Becoming the Archetype

Great so does this mean we are going to make it? :D

and another thing What does Rick say about all this? I've been reading the thread from the beginning and I don't recall reading anything about his opinion... Other than the one he already had of not being to fond of this idea...

anyways Great guys :D

... I think BoltBait, CMD, Ash and Rick have enough work already...

Oh, but I'm doing just fine, then? :-) Kidding. And I don't think there's a need for a new mod; it's really no more work than before, just spread across a new thread.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

and another thing What does Rick say about all this? I've been reading the thread from the beginning and I don't recall reading anything about his opinion... Other than the one he already had of not being to fond of this idea...

There has been discussion you haven't heard about. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

There has been discussion you haven't heard about. :-)

Can you please post a link? Or do you mean the thread that I started?

It would be nice to get his up-to-date feedback after reading this thread.

"You haven't heard about" is a euphemism for "you weren't/aren't invited to."

:)

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Yes already, there is a moderator-only board. Forums with more than one moderator need boards such as these to discuss things between all concerned parties. It's not really a "lounge" per sé, but a place where we conduct official business. Y'know, things like clam-bakes, fondue dips, and all-night pizza parties and Call of Duty 4 marathons. :P

The moderators began discussion of implementing this new PictoriBoard in the mod-only discussion area - we wanted to discuss feasibility without getting everyone's hopes up, in the case that we decided it wouldn't work. Rest assured that I wouldn't go announcing official board modifications unless Rick promised me somewhere beforehand that he wouldn't hang me for doing so. :wink:

~ Becoming the Archetype

Aww, CMD, ruining all my fun.... ;-)

So, the fact is, the new forum will probably happen. Overwhelming support aside, it's a good idea to try, at least. It just has to wait for Rick to get the chance to throw it together.

In the meantime, we need to discuss how this forum should work.

One thing did come to mind as I was making dinner tonight, I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of recognition for when someone obiously tries to grow artistically by going outside of their comfort zone. We all know the ones that make consistenly good pictures but when you get down to the nitty gritty they are all just variations on a theme. Different color maybe a tweek here and small change there. Those people are stuck in a rut, and need to grow and broaden their genre. They should be recognized in the gallery when they break out of the shell with a real ambitious non comfort zone picture..

Yes already, there is a moderator-only board...

I knew it! :D

I know that some people are worried that the Galleria would be all Ash, bb00, Helio, and Madjik...but I say hey, if they make all the cool images, so be it! I don't want my images included in the new Galleria because I made a good effort or something like that...I want it to actually mean something.

My two cents. Or pence...or rubies...or whatever. ;)