• XP Home
    • XP Media Center
    • XP Pro
    • Vista Basic
    • Vista Premium
    • Vista Business
    • Vista Ultimate

• 2 months later...

i've always known xp. i've always had and worked on an xp computer. up until last year, tho, when i got my first vista laptop as a graduation present, i just loved it a lot. it was faster, better, and way more cooler looking. i can't be biased, since i know both xp and vista bc i've used them both. i like vista a lot better. vista is the wave of the future. all the computers in my university are vista. the only criticism i have of vista tho, is bc its still relatively new, it still has some bugs that need to be worked out. for example, on my laptop, if i wanna download something (it doesn't do this to everything tho), it'll forget that im the admin, and so it just won't let me do it. its a lil annoying, but im not complaining. once all the bugs are worked out, vista will rule over all the others. i still much prefer vista over xp. besides, the xp desktop is just way to damn slow compared to my vista laptop. the desktop is not even that old. we've had the desktop for nearly 2 yrs. and like i said, i got my laptop only a year ago..well, it'll be a year in june. all in all, vista rules.

On my university (Utrecht, netherlands) they only use win2k and various flavours of linux

Those computers are too bad for vista anyway

Bugs are not being worked out, SP1 introduced a lot of software incompatibilities, and windows 7 is planned for relatively soon.

Along with the facts that: Vista has evil DRM, new operating systems generally aren't faster than previous ones, software producers will not drop XP support any time soon, Wine has better compatibility with windows programs than vista, (add more facts here)

I'll just keep XP until microsoft becomes sensible and recognizes the need for: total control as admin - that's why they're admin, no DRM whatsoever no matter how much evil companies pay them, backwards compatibility, no bloat, better performance, a responsive GUI - etc

If they do all that, I'll be happy to switch to their new OS

I did try vista (x64) on this computer (3,3GHz qx6850, 4GB 800MHz ram, 8800GTS 640mb, home build of course) but it was shockingly slow (with all tweaks I could find and all fancyness disabled). XP Pro (x64 ofcourse) has no trouble at all, and it lets my play my games and use my programs, which is what any good OS should do.

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

Why would anyone vote for XP Home over XP Pro?

Because it might be what they use? I use Home, it was way cheaper than Pro & I wanted to spend the money on components rather than software.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

If they've only used Home then they're gonna prefer it to anything else... College uses Pro & I'm not a fan of the way the college system works so I may be a little biased towards home, I don't think I've voted though.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, whats wrong with home? -.-

If money wasn't a factor, then I don't think many people will be wanting to get that home edition. Why settle for mediocrity? That's just my opinion though.

When is money not a factor?

:?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

For example when you choose between Home and Pro, since Home has to be registered (Pro only needs activation) and registration is bad. Home only supports 1 CPU (though it can have as many cores as you like) which means that it doesn't like all those nice multi processor mobo's for AMD's (but who uses those things anyway?).

Pro also has encryption (in NTFS only of course) which could help if you're into somewhat less-legal things.. (never a terribly good plan though)

And in most cases you can ask your IT friend whether you can borrow his volume licensed xp pro, probably a bit illegal but not too much (you can borrow someone's car as well, so why not one of his CD's?)

Even media centre doesn't look anything like Vista without a special theme (and stuff like viorb)..

In fact, it doesn't look any different than Pro or Home (except the media part, which is a program, and is quite annoying and unresponsive..)