1. 1. Which kind of XP or Vista do you like

• XP Home
    • XP Media Center
    • XP Pro
    • Vista Basic
    • Vista Premium
    • Vista Business
    • Vista Ultimate

I like XP Pro over any OS...yeh i like vista but non of my printers and anythin that goes through a USB doesnt work with vista! which is fair annoying at times!

But i am going to be saving up so i can buy and build my own PC :D i want a powerful one...and im going to have XP Pro on it which i can get £50 from a shop in my area :P...but got to finish school and get a job yet...im in my last year sooo.....(Yr 11)....

So yeh i like XP Pro the best!

It's got to be a "Micro$oft house", you can't use PdN on anything else. Realistically and easily before someone starts banging on about the Mono port...

Non sequitor.

Just wanted to assess the situation before making any commentary that draws undue ire/causes "membership problems".

mastzg2.png

100% paint.net

One sad attempt at a sig, but it's all about the intellectual property rights anyways.

I'm never getting Vista, by the time support has ended for XP there will either be another OS out or I'll switch to Linux. If you're interested, there's a very interesting article about why Vista is the worst thing for the computer industry for a long time. DRM (Digital Rights Management) is about the worst thing that Microsoft could have added to Vista & all the premium content "protection" that ended up not letting people watch their legally bought HD-DVD's & Blu-Ray DVD's on their perfectly legal systems. Hence why the whole thing was "secure" for about a week.

The only reason that Microsoft wants this stuff in Vista is so that it can have a stranglehold on the market & in about 5 years time when Blu-Ray / HD-DVD's are standard everything will have to be processed by their rubbish system that downsizes content then upsizes it again.

All I can say, is count me out.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

ive used both, i currently use XP, i feel like vista was released way to early. It has been having a lot of problems, especially security problems. with all the information and drawings i have on my computer, although they would be useless to others, are important to me just cus i need them for school and stuff lol. so i stick with XP.

japannese.jpg

Support Our Troops, End The War

The only reason that Microsoft wants this stuff in Vista is so that it can have a stranglehold on the market & in about 5 years time when Blu-Ray / HD-DVD's are standard everything will have to be processed by their rubbish system that downsizes content then upsizes it again.

Somehow I doubt blu-ray will ever become standard, but I could be wrong. Predictions are always dangerous, but I haven't seen the increase in use that one might expect from a system that would be 'becoming standard'. They could be useful when games start to get bigger than 8.54GB.. those "hd" movies aren't worth it IMO, I'd rather have a longer movie than one which would have an unnoticably better quality (unless you have a HUGE screen maybe)

Besides, what's with everyone leaving XP as soon as it'll loose MS' support? so what if M$ doesn't support it? it's not like suddenly there will be no software for XP - too many people use (and will continue to use) XP for that to happen

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

what's with everyone leaving XP as soon as it'll loose MS' support? so what if M$ doesn't support it? it's not like suddenly there will be no software for XP - too many people use (and will continue to use) XP for that to happen

Support for Windows 2000 isn't even over yet, and already hardly anyone is making programs for it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

@ David: That is because upgrading to XP was safe, secure, and you wouldnt have any hardware issues. With Vista, however, it is the complete opposite. I know plenty of people who use 98 and are happy with it, and support has long been dropped for it. You simply cant judge the XP -> Vista transition with 2000 -> XP transition.

signature.png

Oh, come on, I remember XP's release. People were complaining about it just as much as they are complaining about Vista. :-)

Although, I agree - Vista seems to be a "transition" release. I can't wait for Vienna. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Oh yes XP was aweful as well, but it got better..

let's hope vienna doesn't start out so crappy :)

or else maybe Vista SP2 could one day be a proper OS (or not)

who was so unhappy with XP SP2 that they needed a new OS anyway?

I think MS mostly, if not only, did it for the money...

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

David, did you read the article I linked to?

Actually, did anyone read the article I linked to?

It is interesting, if slightly tech-heavy & it explains all the reasons why drivers took so long to become available. Vista would be so much faster if the got rid of the content protection.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

I didn't even see it until I looked closely. :-P I did read it, just now...and wow. I hate DRM with a passion. And I'm not even trying to steal things! I just want to be able to watch and listen to what I own rightfully.

I can't see that it would help combat piracy, all it does is make it easier for Microsoft to stranglehold the market & make other developers jobs an absolute nightmare.

dA

No kidding. Made this a while back:

DeathRiaa.jpg

It's got the RIAA logo on it, not the DRM logo, but the point is the same. :-)

They're an independent organization. Who's "shutting them down?"

There's a secondary source linked in that article.

I don't know...looks a lot more likely than I had originally thought.

Funded by Electric & Music Industries, who were bought by Warner (I think) last year.

This is relevant to the current discussion, as EMI were opposed to DRM (whereas Warner are Pro DRM) alongside Apple who have their own monopoly with the iTunes store.

The only people DRM will benefit are Microsoft & Macrovision.

dA

I think the problem with the RIAA is that

A. DRM is publicaly hated. We all hate it!

B. The RIAA should have focused more on sites and programs and site who offered illegal content

C. How much effect has the RIAA actually had on illegal downloads? None.

I think they should pull the plug on the RIAA, and not just because we hate them.

@Pyro: There is another link in that article. The rarity of G4 actually researching something and going on the field is so high, that it never happens. All of their news has a source, and as it says, it is just a rumour.

signature.png

There is a need for copyright protection, otherwise creative people that make the music that people listen to (either legally or illegally) won't get paid. If people can't make money making music, then the likelihood is that they'll stop. So, copyright protection: good, overzealous copyright protection: bad.

dA

There is a need for copyright protection, otherwise creative people that make the music that people listen to (either legally or illegally) won't get paid. If people can't make money making music, then the likelihood is that they'll stop. So, copyright protection: good, overzealous copyright protection: bad.

QFT. In my opinion, though, DRM is overzealous and draconian.