Portable version of Paint.NET

You can install the folder into its default location and then copy the C:\Program Files\Paint.NET folder onto the flash drive.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Exactly, and everything will work as normal except for printing functionality and Explorer thumbnails. Apart from that, and as long as you have the necessary Frameworks on the host computer, Paint.NET is relatively portable. Even your plugins will work as normal.

However, complete portability requires that the program leave no trace on the host computer - registry files, etc. - and that the program be less of a strain on a USB device (to say that data is been written to and fro); Paint.NET, when being used as a portable application, does not do this. Evidence will be left behind and your device will degrade as if using it as a regular data device, only because Paint.NET has not been specifically designed for potability.

But please, don't let the above stop you, I've been using a 'portable' version for quite some time now on the same USB drive, plus that of regular use, and I have not seen a problem as of yet. I would use it at college, but they've disabled the ability to use EXE's from any of our account locations, though that is beside the point.

But you still need NET.Framework 2.0.

Is it possible to get this ressource on the stick, too?

errm from my experience yes. my dad works at my school and hes friends with the it technician who put .NET framework on a cd for me. i know its not the same as a memory stick but i think you would have to upload the framework everytime but most computers do have a net framework mine had 1. sommat so i had to get the new one.

section8.png

psn id: R3V-fiR3

Depends if you had the room for it - only 25 (-ish) MB for the redistributable. Definitely small enough for most, if not all, USB drives, even with data already on. Check first anyway.

Although, I cannot be sure for the process after, although, as R3VENGE correctly assumed, most computers have at least Framework 2.0 installed already, which is all you need for the moment. You can ask the IT technician for confirmation of this, though.

If memory serves, most versions of XP and all versions of Vista come with the framework pre-installed.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Correctamundo, david:

XP with 1.1;

Vista all up to 3.0.

As for installation on another computer without such, and from a USB drive, I honestly don't know. Try Googling for 'portable .NET Framework' or something of the like if nobody here can shed some light on this.

Also, you need to have it completely installed to the system's hard drive before you can do anything, if I'm not mistaken. I don't believe installing directly onto a portable drive is possible.

Then there isn't much you can do. I haven't researched this much*, but I think you're stumped until they do update their Framework.

You'll just enjoy Paint.NET more when you get home :D.

*although, by all means, investigate further if you wish using Google.

well, if you can "hack" into the Windows folder of an XP you can do this:

install the .NET Framework in your computer. Then, look for the folder in the Windows folder, it should be in a sub-folder called "Microsoft.NET". Open that one, and the next folder too (Framework), there you'll find the .NET Framework version that you installed, it should be called something like "v2.0.5037" (it depends on the version you installed). Copy that folder entirely, and then paste it into the Windows folder of the computer that you want it to be "installed".

This works on an XP, I'm not sure about Vista... I've tried it, and it works most of the cases; but, as I said before, you have to have access to the Windows folder of the computer.

I hope this works (and that it's not seen as real hacking :P )

well, if you can "hack" into the Windows folder of an XP you can do this:

install the .NET Framework in your computer. Then, look for the folder in the Windows folder, it should be in a sub-folder called "Microsoft.NET". Open that one, and the next folder too (Framework), there you'll find the .NET Framework version that you installed, it should be called something like "v2.0.5037" (it depends on the version you installed). Copy that folder entirely, and then paste it into the Windows folder of the computer that you want it to be "installed".

This works on an XP, I'm not sure about Vista... I've tried it, and it works most of the cases; but, as I said before, you have to have access to the Windows folder of the computer.

I hope this works (and that it's not seen as real hacking :P )

You'd have to have admin access to copy anything into the Windows folder, and if you had admin, you'd be able to install .NET Framework properly.

Unless there's something I've missed and am just making a fool of myself again. :roll:

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

A quick question you mean the Microsoft.NET folder at

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET

right?

Just copy that entire folder? If I paste it in my USB drive, will paint.NET automatically be able to detect the framework from there, or does it look at C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET?

• 3 weeks later...
A quick question you mean the Microsoft.NET folder at

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET

right?

Just copy that entire folder? If I paste it in my USB drive, will paint.NET automatically be able to detect the framework from there, or does it look at C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET?

Bump.

I need to know the answer too, because my school computers do not have .NET 2.0. And I would love to bring paint.net with me.

----

Also, just so you know, running paint.net off a cd work great.

"By trying to reinvent the wheel every time we find very often with square wheels" ...X-blaster

No bumping. Read the rules.

26) Never 'bump' someone else's thread.

Thread Locked