New to C# and Paint.net

rechmbrs

I'm new to C# and Paint.net and have a number of general questions. I do have lots of C, C++ etc. 40+ years of coding.

I have both VS 2005 and 2008 Express which include VC#. Do I need to get Visual Studio Std or Pro if I plan to make rather complex plug-ins? If so, which is recommended?

Has anyone attempted to connect FFTW to Paint.net via a plug-in? If not, is there a guide dog who might help me?

Does Paint.net handle 16bit layers? How about 32bit floating point layers? If not, hard to change program to do this?

Do I ask too many questions?

Thanks,

RON C

:? :?

I use Visual Studio 2005 Pro

Rick just upgraded to VS 2008

But several of our developers do just fine with only C# Express 2005 or 2008. If you use 2008, though, I recommend you set it to target .NET Framework 2.0, to prevent users from having to download 3.0/3.5, and the additional time it will take for PdN to load.

I have no idea what FFTW is, but if it's a .NET assembly, it should be very easy to do. If it's like a COM DLL or something, you'll have to play around with [DllImport]s and P/Invokes, I think ( I don't know; I've never done so), but there are lots of resources around the internet for that.

16bit layers? no. 32 bit floating points? no.

32bit ARGB only. You could write a filetype plugin that could import/export to those formats, but they'd still be used internally as ARGBs, so you'd really lose any benefit.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

FFTW is a Fourier transform. I have C++ version and there is a C# interface so that is solved I think.

Will stay with Express for a while I think.

Wonder if I can find an easy way to overload to get rgba 64 bit and 128 bit (4 floating point)? Have to survey the code. Need to write RAW (16bit/color) and RAW (32bit float/color) input and output routines.

Thanks for help.

RON C :?

It will not be easy or quick to do this in Paint.NET, especially for someone who is also new to C# and/or .NET.

I recommend you look elsewhere for your custom image processing needs.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg