Install problem v3.20 - path too long

BananaRaffle

I get to the point of the installer saying "Paint.NET is being installed" and I get a Retry/Cancel popup that says:

The specified path is too long:

C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_Microsoft.VC80.OpenMP_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_9e223a7a

I've never installed Paint.NET. I have VC8 Express installed and various other dev tools. I'm running XP Pro 2002 SP2 (32 bit), fully patched, on an Opteron 250 with plenty of free RAM and disk (NTFS). Retry has no effect and Cancel cancels the installation. I've tried doing both install types (standard/custom). In add/remove I have "Microsoft .NET Framework" versions 1.1, 1.1 Hotfix, 2.0, and 3.0.

Any pointers? I looked in both of the "READ THIS" threads but didn't see anything that might help.

Fixed.

I downloaded and ran dotnetfx.exe from MS. It failed because of some security problem and then crashed. So I shut down all the bloody potato I had running, including Miranda, Google Desktop, etc etc and tried again. And it worked with no problem. Paint.NET is installed and running now.