wanted: good tutorial for photo ==> comic /// any ideas??

Hey everyone, lately I have been trying to develop some kind of technique to make photos into

paintings or comics, but they are never really good, especially the color part is pretty hard...

I tried to use median, outline blurs posterize, curves and pencil sketch. But I didnt find any technique that works in general.

So if anybody knows a nice way to get good paintings or comics out of photos please post a tutorial! If you have done some pictures and don't remember how you did it, also post!

edit: I already read all available pdn tuts on this topic, you don't have to post them

******************************Design as Underdog**********************************

sotw13compen3.jpg

Umm sorry, tried both of them....

Oil paintings can sometimes be helpful but you just don't get any comiclike borders and

the ink sketches always leave lots of black points everywhere. Anyway, thanks for replying!

******************************Design as Underdog**********************************

sotw13compen3.jpg

I'm not sure if this will work or not (I haven't tried this; I'm doing this from the top of my head). You could find the picture, and duplicate it. On the bottom layer, you could apply the Pencil Sketch effect with your likened settings. Then on the top, lower the opacity and possibly change the blending mode.

EDIT: Nevermind it doesn't work good.

I remember an old topic about a solution to this but I can't seem to find it :(

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

there use to be a Pastel effect lurking around in the shadows somewhere, I remember it not being real effective but it could help you out with your color. As For your outlines, I would simply say manualy find the shapes. I would tell you to use Outline, Edge Detect, and Emboss to find the important lines, and in a seperate layer use the :LineCurveTool: Line/ Curve tool. Could you post one of the pictures that you are trying to convert?

signature.png

With the line tool it gets a lot easier, but with some images it is pretty hard to use and it normally also takes a lot of time. Lets just take a random image and you can show me your results...

62526466rs0.th.jpg

sotw13compen3.jpg

looks pretty nice Xune. Did you do it with the "Real photos ~ real screentone" tutorial??

@MR52: You have nice skills for that, but I am more looking fore something without having to draw any lines or borders because some pictures would just take forever...

sotw13compen3.jpg

• 7 months later...

Ink sketch can introduce a lot of noice it's true. One solution would be to make a duplicate layer for your outline that you would ink sketch with the color slider all the way down and just lasso select out the noise. Then set it to multiply and do whatever blending, bluring, or rendering you want with the base tab for the color.

sig.png