Debate: Capital Punishment

I disagree with those suggesting they should be subjected to "horrible" conditions or "rot" in prison and those promoting capital punishment alike.

Nobody should be "punished" or be "revenged". It is rehabilitation that is key. It is inhumane and downright wrong for anyone, no exceptions, to be killed or be subject to bad conditions. They need to be swayed to become good, hard working members of society, not scared into submission, and certainly not killed.

Like I said:

Rehabilitation wins over Revenge

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Like I said:

Rehabilitation wins over Revenge

I would agree with you 100%... if it worked every time. While I view successful rehabilitation as far, far preferable to execution, the fact remains that it doesn't work all of the time. Many criminals can be reformed and change their ways, but some fall back to the old ways, rather like some alcoholics. Is it worth attempting to rehabilitate someone over and over at the cost of someone's life each time? I don't mean to be Mr. Worst-Case-Scenario, but that's what it boils down to.

well, I'm probably not going to make any friends with this post , but since asked, here goes:

yes, I firmly believe in capital punishment. I do, however, believe that the rules should change. I believe that someone who commits a violent premeditated murder for no reason should be executed. I also believe that child Killers, rapists etc. should also be put on that same list. why should i have to pay for someone like that to live comfortably for the rest of their lives? why sould I pay for them to get a college degree, while sitting around all day pumping Iron, watching Cinemax, and all that? I shouldn't. those who don't qualify for the death penalty should have to pay their own way through hard work in a chain gang.

I personally think the only way someone can be executed is to be tortured to death. They'll regret even thinking about doing it, and in the case stop anyone else from doing it unless they want to die painfully.

The only reason i think this should be the way Capital Punishment should be implemented because really, no-one would think of wanting to be tortured.

I'm not saying "don't rehabilitate". What I am saying though is that more emphasis needs to be placed on punishment than currently is. It's no good hammering into someone that crime is bad when the consequences of it are a better life than the offender had "outside". What is the point in that?

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

I'm not saying "don't rehabilitate". What I am saying though is that more emphasis needs to be placed on punishment than currently is. It's no good hammering into someone that crime is bad when the consequences of it are a better life than the offender had "outside". What is the point in that?

It keeps them away from others.

I'm from OneClick Wi-Fi, a Nintendo WFC community site.

Unofficial Paint.NET IRC chat | Server: irc.initialized.org | Room: #paintdotnet

If you don't have an IRC client, you can also access initialized IRC here.

And you call that punishment? It actually doesn't, it just means that they meet new people. And can that ever be a bad thing?

I didn't call it a punishment. I said it keeps them away. Thus, they no longer impede on society, and for about 80% of cases, are law-abiding citizens afterwards.

I'm from OneClick Wi-Fi, a Nintendo WFC community site.

Unofficial Paint.NET IRC chat | Server: irc.initialized.org | Room: #paintdotnet

If you don't have an IRC client, you can also access initialized IRC here.

It's no good hammering into someone that crime is bad

I'm not saying we should do that - but sooner or later we need to start focusing on the root causes of their crime and see how we can help - and give them an education or teach them a trade to give them some self-esteem and give them a direction to go when they get out of prison - it should stop shoplifters in perticular because when they get out of jail they will have something to fall back on other than crime.

KaHuc.png

Yes, but then if we don't give them a good enough reason to not offend, then they won't stop. There has to be a balance between rehabilitation and punishment.

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

So that's the point, a better life than they had outside, so you suggest all criminals come from the lower class, if so it is a social issue, so better life conditions could lower criminal rate better than the fear of a capital punishment.(or :evil: they all come from the lower class cause they do not have enough money to pay for a good lawyer to set them off prison?)

This thread is full of "us" and "them" like if it never could happen to one of us most honorable members of our society to stumble upon a crime (wether serious or just a transgression) remember that all human beings have inside themselves the potential to kill if provoked and any human being has the potential to steal a bread loaf if starving, I am just asking to ponder a bit deeper and try to see the argument not only from just one face/aspect (i.e. let's take a rope and hang him)

Sorry, I didn't mean that all criminals come from an impoverished underclass, but the fact is that many criminals do not have much or any income, forcing them to turn to other ways of making money. However, despite my apology, many many aspects of prisons still sound better than many peoples lives, such as a "reward system", and privileges that people may not be able to get outside. Also, from what I understand, there is less housework etc. to do there...

~John Lennon