Gradient Problem

I think I may have found a bug with the Gradient tool.

Repro steps:

• Fill a layer with a solid color.
    Select the Gradient tool.
    Switch to Transparency mode.
    Make sure that your primary and secondary are black and white.
    Draw a gradient.
    Undo.
    Reverse the primary and secondary colors, so that they are now white and black.
    Draw a gradient.

Note that the gradient is the same, no matter which way you drag, which way the colors are, etc.

gradientbug.jpg

Shouldn't switching the colors switch which side the transparency is on? It's not a big deal in linear, but the others it is something of a problem. I seem to remember in v2.xx that this functionality was there, but I'm not sure.

I'm using v3.22B - I've also repro'd on v3.20.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

You're working in transparency mode, so only the alpha channel is affected. The transition goes from the alpha value of the primary color to the inverse of the alpha value of the secondary color. Swapping the colors like that won't affect things.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

So is my only option for a workaround to make both my primary and secondary color's alpha = 0?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Yup. But that's not a workaround; it's as designed...

It seems like Rick was trying to make the standard functionally as discoverable as possible, while retaining the configurability (albeit, hiding it).

Edit:

Nevermind what I said about hiding it. It's written up pretty well in the help file...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I see. I always thought it took the luminosity of the color in question...but I guess that makes no sense at all.

I'm glad to understand it now, though. :-) Thanks, Rick/BB00!

Thread Closed

(*shrug* it was worth a shot. :-))