The Paint.NET users Film/Movies Club.

• 1 month later...

Stuber 7/10

It was funny throughout. Good action scenes although I think the basic premise of the movie was a bit flawed. Everyone I know that had eye surgery could see better right away. 

Doom: Annihilation. 2/10

Why is it so hard to make a decent movie out of such a brilliant video game?  Terrible acting... I’m guessing these “actors” got pulled from either soap operas or film school. The special effects look worse than the live rendering in the video game Doom 3. And, the plot?  That was better in the game as well. Rubber suited aliens.  Editing is also really bad—people often have different expressions when switching camera angles. Spelling errors in the credits? AND a non-ending... you really thought this was good enough to rate a sequel?! Ha!

*sigh*

A couple of Brit tv series.

Prime Suspect, 7 seasons worth. With Helen Mirrin, most excellent production. Another season more recently, different actress, also british, also excellent.

The Night Manager from a spy novel by John Le Carre. Also well done, follows the novel closely. (the novel is a good read too). 6 or 7 hours long.   

On 4/30/2019 at 9:56 PM, BoltBait said:

BTW, a month from now HBO releases Deadwood (2019) a movie based on the most excellent TV series.

Finally some closure for that story.  I'm really looking forward to that one.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:26 AM, welshblue said:

They'd better show that in the UK.

I binge watched the series back in Jan/ Feb and have never been so frustrated at the ending of a series.

Ian McShane - what an actor

I finally got this on DVD...

It is everything I wanted to end the story. 

@welshblue, I think you’ll like this one. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BoltBait said:

It is everything I wanted to end the story. 

@welshblue, I think you’ll like this one. 

I'll second that.  A really enjoyable watch to finish off a brilliant series.  Cleared up a lot of things.  

Line of the year has to be when Trixie starts reading the Lord's Prayer to Al ... 

"Our Father who art in Heaven ... "

"He can fluffing  stay there ..."

• 2 weeks later...

Ford vs Ferrari 8.5/10

Christian Bale knocks it out of the park again—what an actor!  And there’s a certain car ride in the middle of the film where Matt Damon explains the skill required to properly drive the car... brilliant scene. 

I left the theater wanting to drive 200 MPH... (are these movies sponsored by local law enforcement?!) Now, I’m wondering why this is... because, I don’t leave a John Wick movie feeling the need to shoot people... 😂

Anyway, it was a good film. Funny, exciting, and touching, plus excellent performances all around. And, finally, they did a great job recreating the time period without throwing it in your face. 

• Like 1
On 11/28/2019 at 4:48 PM, BoltBait said:

I left the theater wanting to drive 200 MPH... (are these movies sponsored by local law enforcement?!) Now, I’m wondering why this is... because, I don’t leave a John Wick movie feeling the need to shoot people... 😂

🤣

Great film innit.  

Although it's weirdly called Le Mans '66 over here 🤨

I've never seen The Fighter.  I've never been into boxing 

Enjoy with your son.  And don't get a heavy right foot on the way home 😉

I laughed at your initial comment because I had to go 55 miles to watch it.  Took an hour and a half to get there.  An hour and 10 to get home

Good fun on roads like this

Dangerous-roads.jpg

Edited by welshblue
  • 3 weeks later...

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 7/10

Tarantino’s second try at revisionist history—the first being Inglorious Bastards. I’m not a big fan of the genre. But, the movie is well made. He did an amazing job of recreating all the time periods in the film. That could not have been easy. 

I actually enjoyed the slower pace of the beginning and it sped up nicely once all the characters were introduced. 

On 11/30/2019 at 3:23 AM, welshblue said:

Enjoy with your son.  And don't get a heavy right foot on the way home 😉

I laughed at your initial comment because I had to go 55 miles to watch it.  Took an hour and a half to get there.  An hour and 10 to get home

Good fun on roads like this

Dangerous-roads.jpg

Wales and Wisconsin must have been separated at birth!

On 11/3/2019 at 5:14 PM, TrevorOutlaw said:

Looking forward to seeing Jumanji 2.  I thoroughly enjoyed the first film and had many laugh out loud moments.

Yesterday, the wife, the daughter and her life-long best friend, and myself went to the movie theater to watch Jumanji 2.

I rate it 7/10.  I was hoping there would be laugh out loud moments as the first one, but it was not quite as hysterical.  However, I am especially impressed with *checks IMDB*  Karen Gillan who was clearly the lead actress in the film, and it displayed her range as an actress.  I thoroughly enjoyed The Rock and Kevin Hart's bromance and their bickering that reflects the characters they are emulating.  In the first film, The Rock and Kevin Hart played two angry high schoolers who felt one had wronged the other.  In the second film, it was aged men embittered over some personal loss.

What left me a bit disappointed about Jumanji 2, though, was I hoped they would have followed up on comments made by Jack Black (who is hysterical and able to pull off different embellishment of the characters) and Kevin Hart (who appeared to have been a bit low key than usual) on exploring the how behind Jumanji's mythology.  They wanted to explore how Jumanji is able to pull people into the game and make people take on the game' avatars.  This was never explored in the film.  However, without spoiling the movie, I think they have left open a possibility to make a 3rd movie.  I would like to see Kevin Hart featured and taking the lead the way Karen Gillan did in this film.

On 11/30/2019 at 1:23 AM, welshblue said:

I'm not a boxing fan either. But, I am a fan of amazing performances. And, The Fighter delivers on many fronts.

Well worth the time to see it.

The Rise of Skywalker was... a fitting ending to the trilogy.

Less wow moments, more touching moments compared to the previous parts of the trilogy.

Spoiler

Rey's last name was quite the surprise.

Edited by Zagna
On 12/17/2019 at 2:34 AM, BoltBait said:

Well worth the time to see it.

Will check it out on your recommendation ... the wife is keen,  seeing as Mark Wahlberg is in it ... ever since Boogie Nights she's a big fan 😕

On 12/16/2019 at 5:57 AM, LionsDragon said:

Wales and Wisconsin must have been separated at birth!

When I go and see the kids in the cities ... it's sensory overload.  Where are the fields.  Mountains. Sheep 

• Like 1

Took the kids to see a movie this morning...

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 8/10

We all had a great time!  The kids have seen all the movies so far and enjoyed this concluding chapter.

JJ Abrams had an impossible task: write and film a conclusion that wraps up the 8+ moves that came before it and please all the rabid fanboys.  That was never going to happen. He really had the deck stacked against him from the beginning... there was no clear story from the beginning, the property was sold to Disney in the middle, some of the prior movies were less than stellar, PLUS one of the main actors died before production began... impossible!  And, yet...

I think me managed to pull it off nicely. 

He put a little something in for everyone--old and new fans alike.  (For example, I liked how he managed to right a wrong that happened at the end of the first movie. 🏅 )  Some complain that the movie is overly sentimental... well, what do you expect from the 9th and final film in the series?!  I loved the fact that we came full circle for the big bad.

Special effects were perfect, of course!

P.S. I laughed at the fact that Grandpa Lando is still creepy AF. *shutter* :D 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 12:58 PM, Zagna said:

Battle Angel Alita. 10/10.

To me it's similar to Watchmen in how it adapts the first 12 or so chapters of Gunnm (checked my volumes after 😛).

There's enough chapters for maybe as many as 3 sequels.

Well made CGI, beautifully portrayed Panzer Kunst and it didn't bore me at any point.

I picked up a copy of this today. It was better than I thought it would be. A touch of uncanny valley, but they’re definitely getting better at this. I’m looking forward to the next chapter...

Alita Battle Angel 8/10

A cross between Rollerball, Robocop, Elysium, and Ghost in the Shell. 

The Gentlemen 9/10

Yup, it's good. Hugh Grant gives the performance of a lifetime--I've never seen him act so well. Lots of humor, twists and turns, anticipation and payoff, and great acting all around.

Written and directed by Guy Ritchie, the same guy who made Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, and RocknRolla (not to mention Sherlock Holmes with RDJ).  So, you know the level of quality to expect. 

See this one... (unless cussing bothers you, then don't). :D 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BoltBait said:

Hugh Grant gives the performance of a lifetime--I've never seen him act so well

Agreed.  I've never been a fan of his 'foppish' films but in this 10/10.

Definitely one I'll watch again.

Not forgetting the excellent Chris Benstead musical score 

Although across here some snowflake newspapers are slating it for being anti this and that 

• 2 months later...

The Call of the Wild...

Excellent movie, even though they humanized Buck, and another excellent performance by Harrison Ford.  If there is a negative to the film, it is that it is obvious the animals were CGI-generated.  The abandoned cabin scenery were gorgeous.

8/10.  

• 1 month later...

Watched Blood Machines, a pretty cool movie. Well, I actually watched Knocks Schiller (Also mods, admins, please don't censor the name, Knocks Schiller is not the guy's real name) (Who backed the movie on Kickstarter and received a digital copy for it) stream it on one site where multiple people can watch it.

It was just fascinating to see them visuals (and mima tiddies lol) and to hear the wonderful soundtrack by the man, Carpenter Brut.

You can watch it on Shudder and Vimeo On Demand, just purchase a subscription for it.802CB84E-B536-485F-B097-74898282CE37.thumb.png.bc5c8deee660bd5c50d51d52d9141d9e.png

also don't mind the tab bar because fullscreen sucked.

Edited by CsyeCok The Soldier