MattBlackLamb

The Paint.NET users Film/Movies Club.

I'm usually pretty easy on Sci-Fi movies... just because I love visions of the future.

Also, I didn't see the trailer before watching the movie. So, maybe I graded it higher because of that.

I would have liked to see more of their relationship over the years.

Light between Oceans 6/10

Meh. Weak characters and fairly contrived plot. The attempt to redeem the plot by adding 11th hour moral 'twist' did not work. Fassbender was wooden. I know he was supposed to be a recovering war vet, but he played the character without emotion. My partner and I had high hopes for this film. Lacking any sort of empathy for the main characters we struggled to finish it. Jack Thompson playing the salty, wise old Captain was the most enjoyable character.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 was pretty good.

Not as much raw action as Vol.1 but more character development and still plenty of action.

All the cameos were lovely and seeing Jeff Goldblum dancing :D And John Crichton in gold body paint :D

*waka waka waka waka waka*

Edited by Zagna
  • Upvote 1

Spider-Man: Homecoming was pretty good.

Tom Holland did well, Keaton is a great Vulture... what else to say without spoiling anything...

Spoiler

Karen was lovely and MJ is different from previous films...

The third suit looked dope af. Kill mode =O

I liked it more than Wonder Woman :|

Edited by Zagna

Blade Runner 2049  8.5/10

The director was pretty brave to take on a sequel to such an iconic movie. His vision of the future is even more bleak than in the original movie and very well executed--the sequel is pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as the original which I rated 10/10. But, It is filmed in the same style and pace. The sets are amazing and the music compliments the scenes well. The special effects were amazing. Plus, there's a pretty good twist.

And, now for the negatives...

At 2h 45m, the movie was too long.  Once this is out on DVD, I'd like to see a fan edit this down to 2h even.

The original was an action movie, this is more of a mystery movie.  This is going to put some people off.

Mild spoiler:

Spoiler

The ending of the movie was not as satisfying as the original because in this movie they didn't deal with the big bad. I'm assuming they left this open for a sequel.  But, I can't believe they thought a sequel to this movie would be possible.  I mean, seriously, only true fans of the original movie are going to like this one.  It is simply too slow for the general movie going public to be entertained by this.

A nit: in this movie, umbrellas didn't have illuminated shafts like they did in the original.

The Foreigner  7/10

This is basically Jackie Chan's version of Taken. He stretched his acting muscles a bit--not just punching and kicking. He does a good job. 

Pierce Brosnan also did a great job as the British government official he goes to to find out the names of the bad guys that killed his daughter. 

• Like 1