How to Install Plugins ×

AVI Frame Importer: AVIImport Version 4.0

Simon Brown

AVI Frame Importer: AVIImport

Sometimes you may wish to use a frame of your home video to edit and print out - it would be a pain to go into WMM and import the video, put it on the timeline, and export the frame then open it in Paint.NET. This plugin allows Paint.NET to open an AVI file and then you can choose a frame to open.

The plugin is attached.

To Install, simply unzip and run the installer.

This plugin can only open files that the windows avi library can.

I have scanned the file with Norton Internet Security and it has found

no threats but can in no way be sure that the plugin is free from security

threats and for this reason cannot be responsible for any viruses, spyware

or other threats included with this plugin without my knowledge.

==Updates==

2.1: The update includes bigger thumbnails and a few bug fixes.

2.3: This update allows default trackbar position customisation, thumbnail size customisation and fixes a glitch.

2.4: Makes this customisation easier.

2.5: Solves a plugin conflict bug (Notice: Do not try to save under this type as it will not work. I just used it to solve the problem).

3.0: Ability to export as video; Window Now Resizable; Improved Asthetics

3.1: Fixes a window resize glitch

4.0: Ability to save and open video files as a "filmstrip"

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

AVIImportSettings1.zip

KaHuc.png

This'll be useful :D

Here's a completely unimportant, pointless question: Why is the file named ReadMe.zip? :P

EDIT: Nevermind...

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

This'll be useful :D

Here's a completely unimportant, pointless question: Why is the file named ReadMe.zip? :P

EDIT: Nevermind...

Because I used the built-in zip functionality of Windows and it got the name from one of the files.

KaHuc.png

Looks awesome! Just a question: You do have legal license to use the program, right?

Just making sure. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Excellent. :-) Don't want such a promising plugin writer to be cut down in his/her prime by stupid copyright laws. :-)

Awesome work.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Issues found: using the clock.avi file that comes with windows xp and older, the colors are all wrong...

trying to open anything bigger than about 10MB, after the loading bar reaches near the end, my computer completely freezes up. Can't even open taskmgr..

xZYt6wl.png

Issues found: using the clock.avi file that comes with windows xp and older, the colors are all wrong...

trying to open anything bigger than about 10MB, after the loading bar reaches near the end, my computer completely freezes up. Can't even open taskmgr..

There's not much I can do as it basically just uses the avi dll that comes with Windows.

KaHuc.png

Is it loading every single frame into memory before showing the dialog? Can you not grab frames one-at-a-time as the user moves the slider? Or at least can't you chunk it up to ease up on the memory usage? (Assuming that's the problem)

xZYt6wl.png

Is it loading every single frame into memory before showing the dialog? Can you not grab frames one-at-a-time as the user moves the slider? Or at least can't you chunk it up to ease up on the memory usage? (Assuming that's the problem)

If I did that it would be quite slow as you drag the slider. The main problem is that I have to copy the file to My Documents so that the library knows where too look.

KaHuc.png

If I did that it would be quite slow as you drag the slider. The main problem is that I have to copy the file to My Documents so that the library knows where too look.

Slow is always better than crashing a computer. And you shouldn't be using My Documents, you should use the system's Temp directory. You can find its location in the registry, or just use the Path.GetTempFileName() method.

string tmpdir = (string)Microsoft.Win32.Registry.GetValue(@"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment", "TMP", null);
//OR
string tempfilename = Path.GetTempFileName();

xZYt6wl.png

Great plug-in sabrown100, it will become very useful, although not the most obvious picture editing plug-in many people will greatly appreciate the work you have done here.

By the way is there any chance that the plug-in will be able to support more file types other than .avi files, such as .mpg and .wmv? However you have made a great start.

Geoff

Signatureb.jpg

This comes in VERY handy. Thank you. :D

Any idea if there is any limitations to how large files can bee handled?

For the still not supported file types I think WirtualDub is still the best.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

This comes in VERY handy. Thank you. :D

Any idea if there is any limitations to how large files can bee handled?

For the still not supported file types I think WirtualDub is still the best.

This isn't intended to be a replacement for virtualdub - this is intendid to let you select a frame from a video in a more convenient way.

KaHuc.png

Please, can you just attach the file type DLL without an installer?

The EXE makes my virus scanner going nuts. I don't really believe that there's spyware in it, but I'll use it only if I'm sure.

Please, can you just attach the file type DLL without an installer?

The EXE makes my virus scanner going nuts. I don't really believe that there's spyware in it, but I'll use it only if I'm sure.

OK

KaHuc.png

Bugs found:

1.) This plugin leaves an aviimporttemp.avi in the temporary files directory (%TEMP%).

aviimporthq7.png

2.) Obviously it screws up my file types. When I select "Optimized PNG" I get the JP2 window. To get the OptiPNG file type, I have to select PCX. This problem vanishes when I remove the AVI import plugin and comes back when I "reinstall" it.

screwedupar2.png

This is maybe related to the fact that it is import only. If I'm right you can solve this problem by adding a "dummy" AVI export option, e.g. saving just an AVI with no audio and a single, not compressed frame (the picture).

Bugs found:

1.) This plugin leaves an aviimporttemp.avi in the temporary files directory (%TEMP%).

aviimporthq7.png

It's meant to do that so that the dll can find the file.

KaHuc.png

Bugs found:

aviimporthq7.png

It's meant to do that so that the dll can find the file.

The fact is that it leaves it there, when it should be deleted after the plug-in is finished with it.