Sign in to follow this  
Simon Brown

Have you ever written a program?

Have you every written a program? (If more than one - select most used now)  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Have you every written a program? (If more than one - select most used now)

• Yes - In .NET
    • Yes - In unmanaged C++
    • Yes - In Assembley/Binary
    • Yes - In Liberty BASIC
    • Does MS-DOS count?
    • Other Language
    • No

As far as I'm concerned, VB6 will never be obsolete*. VB.NET is just another syntax for C#, IMHO.

*as in VB.NET won't be the cause of VB6's obsolescence...

I'm going to agree with pyrochild on this one.

As I stated above: VB6 > VB.NET

To me, learning VB.NET is just silly. Seriously, the syntax is so similar to C# that you might as well learn C# instead.

VB6, on the other hand, is just easier all around. It is a good place to start and has a lot of support on the web and in books.

Another language that you can start with is Javascript. Now, hold on, don't laugh. You don't even need to download a compiler... its built-in to every browser! :D

Plus, you get a good education in "event driven" programming, Objects, and c-like syntax.

I was teaching programming to a student once and we wrote a blackjack game and a craps game in client side javascript. Fun stuff.

My high school starts the computer science curriculum with VB6. It's an easy, gentle introduction to programming (you don't have to worry about the nitty-gritty stuff). Then we do Java, but that's probably because College Board uses it on the AP exam. I picked up C# pretty easily after Java because the syntax and portions of the API are similar.

The answer is NO.

The closest I've got to writing a programme is writing a webpage in HTML + CSS! No - I didn't use a WYSIWYG editor, instead, I used a combination of Notepad and BoltBait's Free HTML Editor.

I highly recommend it!

(In my opinion, I'm doing pretty good for an 11 year old boy who knows his basic HTML + CSS) :)

Yeh i made a simple password storer! Dunno wat i was thinkin when i made that but hey atleast i made a program...oh and i also made a paint program...

usign tuts from internet of course

ive written some in turbo C, html, PHP, VB 6 and VB.NET... but these are very simple programs (like address book, calculator, tictactoe, etc. ) but yeah, it was fun. :)

I've worked with a bit of PHP, a lot of (X)HTML, CSS, XML, JS, etc. A lot of the web design languages

The only 'programming' language I've ever worked with is the au3 scripting engine AutoIT runs on, which is not complicated in any respect and shouldn't be considered a programming language.

I think I'll download Visual Basic Express and try my hand on it. Any suggestions before I do? I already plan to look at the library for a book.

I think I'll download Visual Basic Express and try my hand on it. Any suggestions before I do? I already plan to look at the library for a book.

NO! If you're going to go with a .NET language, go for C#. If you want to do Visual Basic, do 6.0. As BoltBait and I have both said, VB.NET is a waste of everybody's time.

NO! If you're going to go with a .NET language, go for C#. If you want to do Visual Basic, do 6.0. As BoltBait and I have both said, VB.NET is a waste of everybody's time.

I thought VB express could compile in VB 6.0.

My thing is, will I be about to pick up C#. I thought VB was easier.

I thought VB express could compile in VB 6.0.

Nope, they're completely different languages that have similar syntax. Express is only for VB.NET, which has access to the .NET Framework, and compiles into CLR EXEs. VB6.0 is a COM language, and compiles into native EXEs.

My thing is, will I be about to pick up C#. I thought VB was easier.

VB is easier, but even so, it's not worth it to learn a nearly worthless language just because it's easier. If you really want easier, go for VB6.0. If you're interested in a future-proof language that won't suddenly go obsolete on you, C# is the way to go. Especially if you're interested in a career that involves programming....

i would recommend learning C programming just because its the base for C++ and C# from there you could make programs in C++ since its not obsolete yet or C#, but i would prefer to learn c++ before going into c#.

i would recommend learning C programming just because its the base for C++ and C# from there you could make programs in C++ since its not obsolete yet or C#, but i would prefer to learn c++ before going into c#.

Wow. Talk about a waste of time. :roll:

Just start with C#.

I've grown up programming. Atari ST taught me STOS basic and 68000 machine code. From there I moved up to 286 assembly/DOS and onto VB6 with a more recent foray into VB.NET.

Somewhere in there I taught myself HTML 4 & CSS and a smattering of JavaScript.

Unfortunately I have no formal qualifications and this practically rules me out of employment in the IT industry (my true calling).

I'd encourage anyone starting out programing to go for VB6 first. It's an intuitive language that will allow you to get programs running very quickly.

I've grown up programming. Atari ST taught me STOS basic and 68000 machine code. From there I moved up to 286 assembly/DOS and onto VB6 with a more recent foray into VB.NET.

Somewhere in there I taught myself HTML 4 & CSS and a smattering of JavaScript.

Unfortunately I have no formal qualifications and this practically rules me out of employment in the IT industry (my true calling).

I'd encourage anyone starting out programing to go for VB6 first. It's an intuitive language that will allow you to get programs running very quickly.

You learnt to program backwards in terms of difficulty?

As BoltBait and I have both said, VB.NET is a waste of everybody's time.

Yeah. Too bad my senior project is in VB.NET... :cry:

I've written something in about everything (including assembly language) but I've written actual programs in C#, Java, VBA, VB.NET, PHP, JavaScript...and HTML, CSS...blah blah blah that stuff. ;)

I only know XHTML and basic CSS :(

Well, I know another language too, but I don't dare mention it here.

EDIT: Guess What? I just saw the W3 tutorial on CSS, and wow! I'm going to learn more than just Basic CSS now!

I was programming in BASIC on a Commodore Pet in high school. My dad got a Commodore VIC-20 a few years later. Then we upgraded to a C=64, and I used Simon's BASIC or assembler when programming.

Somehow I lucked into an IT position at work that had opened up. At the time we were on a Digital PDP-11/84 running Digital MSM (known as MUMPS then), so it worked much like an enhanced BASIC programming language. We migrated to a SCO UNIX server running Intersystems MSM, and that's what we use now. So I've pretty much been programming some UNIX scripts and BASIC programs for the last decade.

I was actually going to start learning C when I had my Amiga, but decided not to because I just didn't have the time. I probably would have benefited from it, but I didn't know it at the time.

Why may you only choose 1 language?

I've written many programs in C#, some in C, some in C++ and only a very few in assembly (I read a lot of it though)

and some in Java for Imperative Programming at the university.. I will have to write some in Haskell as well next month

oh and btw, HTML is not a programming language, it's a markup language (that's what the ML at the end stands for anyway) nor is CSS - that's just a cascading style sheet.. that's not to say that they aren't useful, but they're not programming languages