Question about putting a picture in a picture...

ValGal

OK, i started a topic like this earlier, and somehow my subject line said something about a vignette. I don't know how that happened, but it's not what I wanted to ask about. Anyway, I'll describe what I want to do, and sorry I'm not sure what every effect is called yet.

Anyway, see this picture?

EarlyJanuary007edited.jpg

This is just an example. You see the cross in the picture? That's from another picture. I used the ellipse tool, and copied and pasted the cross into this picture. (Is that the proper way to do it, or does anyone recommend a better way?)

What I mainly wanted to know is this: is there a way I can make the edge of the picture of the cross look faded. Not the entire picture of the cross, just the outside of it. It's to give it kind of a sentimental look. I hope I worded my questions right. Any help will be much appreciated.

"I'd rather bleed out a long stream from being lonely and feel blessed than drown, laying face down, in a puddle of respect"--The Wallflowers

How do I do that? I couldn't find anything that said "feather".

"I'd rather bleed out a long stream from being lonely and feel blessed than drown, laying face down, in a puddle of respect"--The Wallflowers

Personally, if you wish for the end result to look realistic enough, I would either Alpha Mask the cross or cut it out the easy way - try and clone stamp the branch out too as lining it up with the others may ruin the composition of the cross later on. Once cut out, place in the desired position and clone in some of that main horizontal branch (with the other smaller branches) over the cross, to make it seem as though the cross is underneath as it would be naturally. This may prove fiddly, but be patient with it as it will pay off.

The only reason I ask you to cut out the cross is because of the sky. Two tones of sky stuck together will never look good, you could try Curves if you wish, although I would find the above method easier if you are not completely confident. If you post the two images separately, I could show you what I mean if you wish*?

EDIT: *which may be later this day, I'm off to Chesterfield for some Christmas shopping. Woo.

This is not the actual picture I'm wanting to do this effect for, it's just an example. I just took two random pictures from my library to show you what I wanted to do.

In which case, it still depends on the two images in question. If there is a stark difference in the two, and the situation is similar to the examples above, take my instructions for Alpha Mask.

If, however, the two pictures are quite similar and there is very little difference between them (or at least, not too much adjustment is required), then take the advice of derkaderka, Rubrica and coquihalla - i.e. feather it.

You know, if you would actually post the images you wish to blend it will make it much easier to determine an exact means of doing it, although both the Feather and Alpha Mask techniques can be applied to many circumstances. You have both now at least.

Hope we've helped.

Myridden that was a lot of information for someone that didn't know where the feather plugin was lol. By the what version of paint.net are you using whereas you are having trouble finding the plugin? If im not mistaken it's included with the latest releases.

Myridden that was a lot of information for someone that didn't know where the feather plugin was lol.
You didn't read my response very carefully, did you? ...
Personally, if you wish for the end result to look realistic enough, I would...
I was offering an alternative solution to the user's query. Feather does not solve every problem you know, and with the example picture (to which they asked help for, whether it was meant as an example or not), Feather would not have done a great deal in blending the two pictures together and making it look remotely realistic and less 'noobish', to put it bluntly.

And by the way, you are mistaken, Feather is not bundled with the latest release, you still have to download it from the usual place linked by coquihalla. ;)

You didn't read my response very carefully, did you? ...
Lol I said If I wasn't mistaken, which I was but I'm not here to argue semantics. I totally agree with your suggestions I just think it was a bit much for a noob to take in, as far as suggesting the feather plugin I just think it's a good starting point for people new to paint.net to acclaimate themselves with image integration, it wouldn't have been the most polished image afterwards but it would be a learning step, the other plugins were somewhat of an intermediate step but totally right on especially since he didn't have even the feather plugin installed. Y'know, but thats neither here nor there. LOL. Love your work by the way.