recolor tool

mike@lando.co.za

as a new user to Paint.net I have been stuggling for some time to recolor selected areas, having established primary/secondary colors, but left/right clicking has no effect & the help index gives too little detail - I must of course be missing something!

Could someone help with a little more detail - many thanks

Zulubase

• 5 years later...

as a new user to Paint.net I have been stuggling for some time to recolor selected areas, having established primary/secondary colors, but left/right clicking has no effect & the help index gives too little detail - I must of course be missing something!

Could someone help with a little more detail - many thanks

After much frustration and several posts on the forum which gave me answers but no solution, I finally figured it out by accident.

Set the primary/secondary colors as described in the docs.

Change the BRUSH WIDTH to a large number such as 100 or more.

Adjust the tolerance slider to control how precise you want the color replacement to be.... set it at 5%-10% if you want only the exact color replaced, higher if you want more shades of the color replaced.

Hold down either the left or right mouse button and note the brush size circle. Drag the circle across the area you wish to color change. (If it doesn't change, try the other mouse button.)

You should see the color under the brush circle change as you 'wave' it over the image.

The problem is that the brush size is often still at 1 pixel the first time you try to use it. If you are trying it out on a high resolution drawing, the one pixel-wide line change is too small to see any effect, and nowhere in the docs nor the forum is that explained.

There is an alternative to the recolor tool, it's a plugin called Conditional Hue & Stauration. Read about it (and how to use it) here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21134-how-can-i-create-a-shape-and-recolor-it/page__view__findpost__p__348884