How to Install Plugins ×

pyrochild plugins (2020-11-21)

pyrochild

@jp2paint: there is also the Plugin Index to help you locate plugins. The first three posts list the plugins alphabetically, the next three by Author.

I didn't say my Plugin Index - though I could have :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

I had an update ready for April 1st, but the forum was closed. Posting it now, though I have no motivation to make threads for the individual plugins or even brief descriptions right now. Experiment.

New plugins:

• Twist (Effects > Tools > Twist)
  • Trail (Effects > Object > Trail)
  • Gradient Blocks (Effects > Blurs > Gradient Blocks)

Updated:

• Smudge
    • Moved to Effects > Tools > Smudge
    • Tons of performance improvements (much faster than Photoshop or GIMP!)
    • Now correctly handles 0-alpha (no fringing!)
    • Smoothness works how I want it to. Finally.
    • Jitter
    • Rounding errors fixed (reported here)
    • Zoom/history icons match PdN's new set
    • SmudgeRenderer abstracted into QueuedToolRenderer
    • Race conditions that affect history/abort/ok being enabled/disabled at the wrong times fixed
    • As far as I know, this build is now superior in every way to GIMP or Photoshop, both of which are slower and handle alpha incorrectly in several situations. GIMP does have 1 feature this doesn't: a brush that can fade out. Coming soon?

[*] Pixelate+

• Dialog improved
    • added a new sample mode

[*] pyrochild.effects.required.dll

• new QueuedToolRenderer class makes it incredibly easy to make things like Smudge, Twist, and ... something else that's pretty much done but I can't release yet due to a bug in Paint.NET and Ed Harvey being on vacation.
    • Fixed in PresetDropdown: Curves+ and Gradient Mapping would crash if an included preset was deleted, then the plugin restarted.
    • Soft Brush and Sample Brush are now generated dynamically. Saves about 50KB.
    • Hard Brush no longer included

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Thanks, but I've fixed it all up myself. I also had to go to the individual threads and fix those links to come back here, among various other conversion issues.

I'm still not motivated to create threads for the new plugins yet.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this but I installed this entire set of plugins and I can't get most of them to work. For example, when trying to use Smudge, I get "This plugin has encountered an error and must be closed"

When I view details, it says:

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\Smudge.dll

Effect Name: pyrochild.effects.smudge.Smudge

Full error message: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.String PaintDotNet.PdnInfo.get_UserDataPath2()'.

at pyrochild.effects.common.PngBrush.GetSurface()

at pyrochild.effects.common.PngBrush.GetSurface(Int32 maxsidelength)

at pyrochild.effects.common.PngBrush..ctor(String brushName)

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.ConfigToken..ctor()

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.ConfigDialog.InitialInitToken()

at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectConfigDialog..ctor()

at pyrochild.effects.common.CanvasConfigDialog..ctor()

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.ConfigDialog..ctor()

at pyrochild.effects.smudge.Smudge.CreateConfigDialog()

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffect(Type effectType)

I placed the entire contents of the zip file (including the pyrochild.effects.REQUIRED.dll) in the effects folder Some of these effects work (E.g., pixelate+) but most do not. Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Well, I must have gotten savvy from watching photoshop CS5 ads, but basically, I've noticed that smudge does one thing: it blends areas together to form the illusion of a smudge brush on a real painting. So I figured, if it can blend areas together, why can't it blend color values together? I've tried this, & it doesn't seem to blend very accurately. Perhaps an idea for a future update?...

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM

Check the first minute of this video out(I know it talks about Photoshop & brushes, but seriously, some of the plugins you've written, well...

They're more than comparable to Ps plugins):

facebook Ps CS5 preview

I'm not talking about the 3D brush stuff (to be honest, I didn't watch the video that far), but I'm talking about using the smudge tool to blend colors in the drawing space like a brush. Meaning, when you drag the tool, & the color values for the area you dragged through are somehow averaged, & blended. Imagine you put three large (~100px~ each) dots in the drawing space, 1 red, 1 blue, & 1 yellow. Now, if the colors blended correctly, dragging the tool from the blue to yellow would create streaks of green, dragging from the red to the yellow would make some streaks of orange, etc. & mashing a bunch of colors together would eventually create a new color (probably a blackish-brown). Do you understand what I'm getting at? Is it too complicated to implement (maybe as a new plugin), or...

Space...The Final Frontier. -James Tiberius Kirk; circa 2260s

YLOD VICTIM