Feature Request: Spell Check

...like that in Microsoft Office products?
That's what I do for larger bulks of text, I type it on Word, go through the rigmarole of testing how bad my own spelling is, then copy that over to PDN.

I personally think, and not to rain on your fire, as PDN is an image editor there is little need for word processor functions when we already have (no doubt expensively paid for) tools to do so. Okay, Shape3D is bringing the 3D graphics world onto our door step, but I'm hoping you see my point.

If it came about then I'd be ecstatic, but it is not something I feel is yearn-fodder at the moment.

Just my opinion.

EDIT: anyway, the Text tool is far from the best text tool out there, we don't even have editability or right-click context menus, so including a spell checker is like running before walking (not the most appropriate metaphor, but still...).

...like giving a double-amputee shoes for Christmas? :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

...like that in Microsoft Office products?

That's what I do for larger bulks of text, I type it on Word, go through the rigmarole of testing how bad my own spelling is, then copy that over to PDN.

I personally think, and not to rain on your fire, as PDN is an image editor there is little need for word processor functions when we already have (no doubt expensively paid for) tools to do so. Okay, Shape3D is bringing the 3D graphics world onto our door step, but I'm hoping you see my point.

If it came about then I'd be ecstatic, but it is not something I feel is yearn-fodder at the moment.

Just my opinion.

EDIT: anyway, the Text tool is far from the best text tool out there, we don't even have editability or right-click context menus, so including a spell checker is like running before walking (not the most appropriate metaphor, but still...).

One thing, if I'd type something from Word into PDN, it usually means I have to go through it and then edit it more, which is annoying when I could just type it and check th size as I'm doing it, rather that an after-thought.

You're right, it is a pain to re-format the text once copied, and I can see the benefits of a spell checker, but what I can't see is this being included any time soon for the fact you do have a perfectly working word processor to do such a task.

Or you could learn how to spell :P;).

Anyway, that's my two pence on the matter, I don't want to put a downer on your suggestion.

It sounds like a good suggestion, but it sounds like it'll have to wait for the re-editable text options that have to come with the architecture changes in 4.0.

He can use the GNU Aspell library, too - he doesn't even have to program his own spell check library.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

It sounds like a good suggestion, but it sounds like it'll have to wait for the re-editable text options that have to come with the architecture changes in 4.0.

He can use the GNU Aspell library, too - he doesn't even have to program his own spell check library.

See, it would be so simple!

*sarcastic laughing (if possible)*

I wonder how that would come out. Would you be able to right click the misspelled word to correct it?

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Well, Pidgin uses GNU Aspell. And yes, that's roughly how it works.

Also - I didn't say it would be simple. Far from. :-) Just saying, part of the work has already been done.

Notepad++ can hook into Aspell as well. :wink:

I don't even know how much work this would entail, but I'm pretty sure Paint.NETs current text implementation is far from allowing something such as this.

I wouldn't mind it, but it's not too high-priority for me. Last I checked (about 1m 32s ago), copy / pasting text from OpenOffice Writer worked pretty well. If I absolutely must have something spell-checked, text-editors are good for that. And, as mentioned above, Notepad++ supports Aspell integration, and Notepad++ is far more lightweight than a fully-fledged text editor, so it may be more convenient (with the significantly lowered RAM hit) to use that instead.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

First, if this is implemented, I would like to have the possibility switch it off. I don't like computers telling me how to write.

Second, ever thought about people who don't speak English? Are you going to implement a spell check for French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Japanese, Swahili?

sigbar0ks.png

Aspell includes libraries for several languages.

I like CMD's idea, though. I never even noticed that NP++ had spellcheck...I've only ever used it for coding.

Well, if the Aspell idea takes off:

http://aspell.net/man-html/Supported.html#Supported

I'm not really familiar with any other open-source dictionaries, and I've no notion how one would integrate one into a program, but yeah, if one were to be implemented, it would make sense to support at least the non-English languages for which PDN has official translations (Chinese (Simplified), French, German, Korean, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish). And then you might want the ability to plug-in languages like one can with translations...

This is sounding like a lot of work. Personally, I'd rather Rick worked on other features. You know, like Layer channels and Masks and such. :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

And built-in masking, and custom brushes.

And built-in masking, and custom brushes.

Version 4.0 :)

Yup. But I assume, since I only have v3.20 on my machine, that Rick is still working on it. :-P