Bug pasting or acquiring image

I took a screenshot (alt + prtscn) on a maximized window on a 1280x1024 screen, then I tried to edit it in paint.net 2.6 RC1. I first tried by Acquire from Clipboard, then I tried just pasting into pdn. Both times it crashed pdn entirely.

I'm running on a P4 1.8Ghz, Windows XP SP2, and 512MB RAM. The pdncrash.log file with both errors is pasted below.

Crash log for Paint.NET v2.6 Release Candidate 1 (Release Candidate 1 Release build 2.6.2220.35943)

Time of crash: 2/6/2006 9:45:11 AM

OS version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86

.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.42 x86

Processor count: 1

Exception details:

System.InvalidOperationException: BufferedGraphicsContext cannot be disposed of because a buffer operation is currently in progress.

at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.Dispose(Boolean disposing)

at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.Dispose()

at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.AllocBufferInTempManager(Graphics targetGraphics, IntPtr targetDC, Rectangle targetRectangle)

at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.Allocate(IntPtr targetDC, Rectangle targetRectangle)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at PaintDotNet.ControlShadow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash log for Paint.NET v2.6 Release Candidate 1 (Release Candidate 1 Release build 2.6.2220.35943)

Time of crash: 2/6/2006 9:47:51 AM

Exception details:

Time of crash: 2/6/2006 9:47:52 AM

Exception details:

Time of crash: 2/6/2006 9:47:52 AM

Exception details:

System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

at System.Diagnostics.StackTrace.GetStackFramesInternal(StackFrameHelper sfh, Int32 iSkip, Exception e)

at System.Diagnostics.StackTrace.CaptureStackTrace(Int32 iSkip, Boolean fNeedFileInfo, Thread targetThread, Exception e)

at System.Diagnostics.StackTrace..ctor(Exception e, Boolean fNeedFileInfo)

at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)

at System.Exception.get_StackTrace()

at System.Exception.ToString()

at PaintDotNet.Startup.UnhandledException(Exception ex)

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Application_ThreadException(Object sender, ThreadExceptionEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.OnThreadException(Exception t)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FPreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Start()

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Main(String[] args)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Your system is pathologically low on memory. Perhaps you don't have a pagefile set up?

I say "pathologically" because there are 3 errors that weren't even able to spit out a stack trace. Also, the 5th error in that log shows that it's running out of memory while trying to figure out the stack trace to print to the error log.

These types of out-of-memory conditions can cause lots of other things to fail, such as the BufferedGraphicsContext giberrish in the first error.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Odd that a screen-capture was enough to run my system out of memory. I no longer have that machine (IT gave me a new one a few days ago), but the pagefile was set up, and no other apps were running at the time. I had several hundred meg free RAM at the time of pasteing, which is why I found the out-of-memory error interesting.

I don't have this problem on my new system, though, so I can't reproduce it anymore.

Thanks for the work you do on this program, it's awsome.