Free Transform

I was wondering if we could get a few more transformations into the free transform tool. (IE: By right-clicking an object that is currently in transform mode.) For example, perspective, envelope, etc.

CRTL+T also should make the current selection go into transform mode (Like in Photoshop.) It doesn't at the moment.

Old Remix | My Website | Sheezy

"It's easy to rebel, but it's hard to be recognized."

"If the body does not die, the world would be an eternal prison."

It sounds like you already know what you want....Photoshop! :lol: lol

Paint.NET is not trying to be a PS clone. Besides, you generally won't see the exact same options in the exact same place; that's called copyright infringement.

Anyway, I digress. For basic transformations of a selection (scale/move/rotate), use the "Move selected pixels" tool. The shortcut key is M.

To make faux perspective adjustments, use "Roll" options in the "Rotate/Zoom" screen. The shortcut is Ctrl+Shft+Z.

See the help files for explanations on how these options work.

Also, here are a few interesting plugins for you to look at:

Oct/Quad Reshape &

Oblique Effect

Oh, and if you plan on pointing out every difference between Paint.NET and Photoshop, warn me now. That way I can just skip reading your post. :P lol

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

GIMP has perspective transform already. But you don't see me going to GIMP. Why? Well, let's just say I don't want to use it at the moment. It looks a little too much like Photoshop 4, and GIMP doesn't have an overall window like Paint.NET does.

I think free distort/transform would be awesome.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I think free distort/transform would be awesome.

Paint.NET actually has free transform at the moment, but you can only transform in square-like shapes due to selections being as such. If you had envelope, you'd be able to literally deform the shape itself (IE: transform it from being a square into a triangle.) The perspective transform would also do that to a degree.

I know.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I gotta admit, iyeru42, you're one of the most knowledgeable new guys on the block graphic editor-wise. You understand the effects, tools, UI, and terms that all graphic designers should know.

Now that I've buttered you up, I'll give you a little bit of bad news. Having a free transform in the form of a Photoshop-like smudge or blur tool may not become reality for a while (if it ever will). A feature like this would probably require a re-structuring of Paint.NET's editing system, an overhaul that would only be fit for PDN v4.x

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

• 4 weeks later...
I'd recommend PS if you want this, if you know loads about Paint.NET, it was designed for the user who was starting out at graphics and with a UI which everyone could use without being complicated.

At 1200+ USD for the suite? Okay. At least it's better than getting the stuff individually. But it'll be over a year before I get that much money (You heard me, over a year.)

Are you a student? Student licensing for Adobe products is far cheaper. If you are, check with your campus bookstore.

I'd recommend PS if you want this, if you know loads about Paint.NET, it was designed for the user who was starting out at graphics and with a UI which everyone could use without being complicated.

At 1200+ USD for the suite? Okay. At least it's better than getting the stuff individually. But it'll be over a year before I get that much money (You heard me, over a year.)

CS2 is cheaper than CS3, and won't make huge amounts of a difference.

BTW, do you think there will be a new version of that quad/reshape/matte plug-in thing? I like it, just it could do with a tad more updating.....Like a feature to allow you to add extra nubs etc...

Is there a source available for it?

Are you a student? Student licensing for Adobe products is far cheaper. If you are, check with your campus bookstore.

I am, I should go check it during school. But chances are, it's still about 600 USD, which would still take about a year. I also plan on getting Office 2007, which would take about a half a year or so.

CS is 10, CS2 is 10.5 btw.

At my school, CS3 cost but a paltry $339.

http://wiscsoftware.wisc.edu/wisc/produ ... ution=1048

For our price. I may not be able to get that kind of money within the time I am enrolled though (January to May.) If I do, I'll probably also be able to get Office 2007 Enterprise (Which is 72 USD) at the same time. We'll see. If I can, you'll never see me here again to bother you. :P

Try using the GIMP if you want a true photoshop clone. That's not what PdN is trying to be. :)

Try using the GIMP if you want a true photoshop clone. That's not what PdN is trying to be. :)

GIMP is just trying to be a clone of Photoshop 4, which it's failing at.

You have to start somewhere.