Paint.NET v3.20 is now available!

German works fine here ...

For me, the new features are displayed in English.

Well, I can't show it to you as I translated most of it by my own meanwhile, and as nobody else complains, there is no reason to care about it further. If you like, you can just PM me your own version of the DE .resources (or .resx) and I'll have a look, to prevent problems (of other users, too) in the future.

All the new features show up correctly with German text on my system when I set it to use German. Maybe your PaintDotNet.Strings.3.de.resources file didn't get updated. Check the dates on the files, see if any are suspicious.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Rick, I extracted the proper file from the MSI package in the Paint.NET directory. Now it works fine.

correctxr3.png

Maybe the file wasn't updated because I fixed this issue manually. Perhaps it is a problem of Windows Installer.

But now, that I think everything is correct... Well...

spartabv6.png

You should check if you have the same, maybe I have still problems, but everything else is correct. In my eyes, this is a bug in the localization, and it's rather heavy. Has anyone else it? (EDIT: Well, it's not only German...)

Also, I have a question. In 3.10, text strings in effects/save settings were brown, now they are black.

stringspc4.png

Is that on purpose? I didn't changed my Windows color settings, but installed .Net 2 SP 1 right before PDN 3.20.

And last but not least, I, the great Emperor Palpatine, have to say that everything happened as I predicted a short time ago...

thisissppartans5.png

I hope at least primitive plugin management via registry or INI is still on your list. :wink:

BTW, the funny point is that "Photo" can not be only translated to German as "Foto", but with the expression "Photo" as well.

Release notes:

If an effect plugin crashes, it is much more likely that Paint.NET will be able to recover from the error.

* The option to restart Paint.NET will then be provided as a recommended course of action.

I've locked paint.net twice in 20 minutes forcing a three-fingered salute, none of these recovery options happened.

Pity, cos Paint.net has never locked up on me before :!:

CjW

Edit by Rick: Sorry, no flashy animations in avatars or signatures.

Chris: You should make a new thread on the Troubleshooting board explaining what you were doing when Paint.NET froze, along with any repro steps for troubleshooters to follow in an attempt to recreate your error. Hopefully we can help you get it straightened out.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Rick, I extracted the proper file from the MSI package in the Paint.NET directory. Now it works fine.

correctxr3.png

Maybe the file wasn't updated because I fixed this issue manually. Perhaps it is a problem of Windows Installer.

But now, that I think everything is correct... Well...

spartabv6.png

You should check if you have the same, maybe I have still problems, but everything else is correct. In my eyes, this is a bug in the localization, and it's rather heavy. Has anyone else it? (EDIT: Well, it's not only German...)

Also, I have a question. In 3.10, text strings in effects/save settings were brown, now they are black.

stringspc4.png

Is that on purpose? I didn't changed my Windows color settings, but installed .Net 2 SP 1 right before PDN 3.20.

And last but not least, I, the great Emperor Palpatine, have to say that everything happened as I predicted a short time ago...

thisissppartans5.png

I hope at least primitive plugin management via registry or INI is still on your list. :wink:

BTW, the funny point is that "Photo" can not be only translated to German as "Foto", but with the expression "Photo" as well.

I've fixed the Brightness/Contrast issue for the next release. Turns out the translation was there and correct, but Paint.NET just wasn't using it. It was not providing a string, so the default of "propertyName.ToString()" was being used, and in this case it worked out just fine for English.

The other Photo vs. Foto is something you'll have to take up with the plugin author. That is not a new issue by any means, and is not something I will be retroactively "fixing" for plugins. If they specify "Foto" then they get "Foto". If they specify SubmenuNames.Photo then they will get the localized text.

The brown vs. black on the headers is because I rewrote that control. The old one had flickering and was abusing a built-in Windows control, so I redid it from scratch.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

The other Photo vs. Foto is something you'll have to take up with the plugin author. That is not a new issue by any means, and is not something I will be retroactively "fixing" for plugins. If they specify "Foto" then they get "Foto". If they specify SubmenuNames.Photo then they will get the localized text.

This point was rather offtopic and meant to pint you to the plugin management system which was originally said to come with 3.20. Good things need time, but for me this is more important than all fancy brushes and effect layers on the world. The case I presented you is an example that there are needs which an English-speaking developer may not realize on the first look. And for me this issue with the (superfluous) submenus is the most disappointing thing related to Paint.Net by far (as it's the only disappointing thing).

In fact, at the moment I can have more plugins without sroll arrows as before, consequence of the movement of the built in effects. But I'd appreciate if there were plugin guidelines containing tips (new UI) and the localizeable strings (I don't think everyone knows them) on top of the plugin or development forum part.

For the end, I don't want to complain, but I have just realized that you haven't fixed this bug? I got the Temp file again two hours ago.

For the end, I don't want to complain, but I have just realized that you haven't fixed this bug? I got the Temp file again two hours ago.

I did look in to it. Paint.NET is not creating the temporary files.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg