Request: New Plug-in Management Site

I am a relatively new user of Paint.NET and I think the program is fantastic with an incredibly bright future. The additional plug-ins available on the forum are also fantastic and open up a huge area of creativity. However, as a new user, I find the plug-in forum to be quite inefficient in many respects. I would like to propose an idea to better manage the plug-ins for Paint.NET on a different web-based site other then forum-based.

Problems:

- Authors use different date formats for last modified date of plug-in (some use none at all).

- Difficult sifting through Sticky'd and un-sticky'd plug-ins.

- Some authors have one main thread, plus individual threads for same plug-ins.

Ideas:

- A table-like chart that can be sorted Alphabetically, by Date, version compatibility, etc.

- A row that shows the date that the plug-in was last modified.

- A row that shows which version(s) of Paint.NET the plug-in is compatible with.

- A link to a forum thread for discussion on that plug-in.

- Possibly a rating system for users to rate plug-ins (and also sort by Ratings).

- Basically, one central location to find the 'latest' version of all plug-ins in a well organized view.

Now I can imagine that I have not covered all of the problems or ideas toward this plug-in management to make it more organized. That is the purpose behind this thread, to get ideas and suggestions from others to get as much input as possible. As a new user, this is one area that I think Paint.NET could really improve upon.

Any comments, ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Take a look at BoltBait's website, and Ash's website. You could certainly do the same, but keep in mind- you cannot host the plugin yourself (or give links to the direct download) without the author's permission. All you can do is provide a link to the forum thread. This ensures that the author's copyright is preserved.

Hope this helps. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

All Paint.NET plugins are written by individuals. Most (I assume) would rather host their plugin themselves.

Having a link to one hosted anywhere else would require the permission of every plugin's author.

I have a feeling many of them wouldn't give their permission to this, and some of them don't really post on the board anymore (and, hence, are difficult to reach).

It's a great idea, but it's dependent on a bunch of other people and circumstances coming together.

It's not really as easy as "let's make a page with all the plugins and call it good".

Unless the Plugin Management Site (I was going to acronym that, but decided against it...;) ) had its own database and was used as the primary source of plugin acquisition and submission/publishing, it would simply be farrrr too much work to maintain.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!