Am I getting in too deep to start with?

I am a retiree and not real high tech savvy, don't even have a camera, yet. I am somewhat familiar with film photography, I owned a Canon AE-1 many years ago, but never a digital camera. I will be getting a Canon A720IS soon and will want to do some basic processing including purple fringe removal, noise reduction/removal, but nothing fancier (at this point). Is this a good application for my needs? Is there something simpler I should start with? I have read the faq's and really don't know what to look for with search. All that I know about digital is what I have read up on over the last couple weeks, and what has carried over from my film camera experience. Is there some sort of "instruction manual" for using this application? I really should have just asked the previous question, that's really what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I downloaded it and have been playing around with some old bad cellphone photos. It will take some practice, but this might be just what I was looking for. I am assuming I will have to get a book to help me out a little, show what can be done, etc. Nothing in-depth. Any suggestions?

Well, there's not a book per se. But if you look in the Tutorials section, you'll see something Wither put together - it's a flash tutorial. Take a look, it might help. :-)

EDIT: Link is here >> viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21605

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I also like the Color Balance plugin to reduce yellow in poorly lit indoor pictures.

There is a link for it in my sig.

Also, you might want to read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5570

It goes along with this plugin: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6524

Thanks all, as a rank newbie I appreciate the civility I have seen so far on this forum. Not like some others I have joined. I really think that I could enjoy this new challenge with a little help from you. I will spend the next days reading tutorials and playing with photos until I get a camera. Thanks again!

I think this is perfect for a new user...

Using Digital (6 to 10 mega pixels) is so different from film....you can shoot a lot of pictures and then delete a lot......

Paint.Net does not have a Browser for reviewing...I suggest adding Picasa ( free from Google to supplement Paint.net

Paint.Net has a lot of capabilities ... I am currently setting up a method of producing a B&W Ansel Adams procedure.....

# Effects-Color-Filtered B&W Set Red at Left (0) and Density to 255

# Increase contrast and bring out detail in Red channel.

# Sharpen+ using Amount 20, Radius 80, Threshold 0, Run Twice

---------Alternate----------

# Effects-Noise-Median Filter set to Radius 2, Percentage 50%, Run Twice

# Repeat Effects-Noise-Median Filter

# Levels – Run Low Input at 3, set Gamma to 1.15

# use Brightness-Contrast to get good White to Black spread

# Give the image a bluish tint...

# Effects-Color-Color Tint set to 160, amount 50

# Sharpen Slightly (Under Effects-Sharpen+) Amount 100, Radius 2, Threshold 15

I am sure you will find many approaches including adding Borders, cropping, cutting out backgrounds.........Have Fun......

SigPDN1.gif