Request - Default Canvas Size

Geoff

Does anyone else agree that there should be an option to be able to change the default canvas size at start-up. If you agree with me feel free to reply to this post and voice your opinion to make it happen.

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

Signatureb.jpg

I don't feel that this is necessary, but I would welcome it if it were added.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Au contraire mon ami...

I think that this should exist! I would really appreciate a way to set my default canvas to 1280x1024.

I add myself to the request

I'd like this to happen. For the most part, I edit and create 1200x1600 pixel images. And knowing how Windows works (and a little of how PDN does), it shouldn't be too much of a project-- just adding a Registry Key stating the default pixel resolution and dpi.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Same here. It's not much time to make a new canvas size.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Perhaps in the Choose Defaults dialog? You can choose which tool to start up with, why not canvas dimensions.

I like working in wallpaper size, or double wallpaper size, but this is the perfect way of implementing that request.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

I was only just thinking about making the exact same request the other day, as I too would love to see this feature added somewhere in the default settings.

I tend to do most of my pieces in 1600 x 1200 wallpaper size, and almost always the first thing I do after opening PdN is to resize the canvas.

It's only a small change, but it would be another 'feature' to add to the ever growing catalog.

I think this is a great candidate feature for v3.30

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

Thanks everyone for your replies. If you have any more opinions on the matter please feel free to reply to this thread. This may not be a major addition to PdN however I'm sure once people get into PdN they will realise the power of it and want to change the default canvas size.

Geoff

Signatureb.jpg

If you have any more opinions on the matter please feel free to reply to this thread.
Don't worry, we will ;).
This may not be a major addition to PdN...
Every little helps. Reset Window Location is quite a small feature, not exactly a selling point for PDN, yet how many times has it helped new users and veteran users alike out of a pickle? Believe it or not, it's the small things which make the big things happen; the addition to define a custom canvas size for startup may be small, but the impact can be ten fold. Don't think that something small will only amount to something of equal size.

Same here. It's not much time to make a new canvas size.

Aigain same here :)

WHATZ.png

wear our signature and earn 50 studiocredits. pm me your username if you want to participate.

I don't know if it falls into the same category, but I would like it if the added layer wouldn't affect the background layer's canvas. An example is I have, say a 100x100 background image, and the added layer is 800x600. The new layer would dwarf the original, and the original layer would have an added area, often filled with the the primary or secondary color you chose. I don't want to expand the original, due to the loss of quality if this was done. This is possible in Artweaver, as well as PSP. If there is a workaround I missed, let me know.

I don't know if it falls into the same category, but I would like it if the added layer wouldn't affect the background layer's canvas. An example is I have, say a 100x100 background image, and the added layer is 800x600. The new layer would dwarf the original, and the original layer would have an added area, often filled with the the primary or secondary color you chose. I don't want to expand the original, due to the loss of quality if this was done. This is possible in Artweaver, as well as PSP. If there is a workaround I missed, let me know.

You don't actually lose any quality when the canvas size expands, unless you "resize" instead of "change canvas size." The pixels themselves are unaffected.

Although I, too, have found myself frustrated by this same thing. A similar dialog to the one when you paste a large image from the clipboard into a smaller canvas would be nice.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I don't know if it falls into the same category, but I would like it if the added layer wouldn't affect the background layer's canvas...

Although I, too, have found myself frustrated by this same thing. A similar dialog to the one when you paste a large image from the clipboard into a smaller canvas would be nice.

I'm sorry, I am with no doubt getting the wrong end of the stick here, but wouldn't this solve your problems...

4114_87f3ad5f78cfd3f91944070d53effa73

As quoted from the second option of the dialog:

'Does not expand the canvas. You will have to move the pasted image around to make sure that the part you want is within the canvas boundaries.'

This keeps the original canvas size whilst allowing the pasting of a larger image, the only thing lost are parts of the pasted image. I can't see any other way of inserting a larger image onto a smaller one without resizing the new image or enlarging the canvas. Unless you do resize the to-be-pasted image first, in which case you are asking for an automatic resize of the new image through the pasting process, no?

I've got this all wrong, haven't I?

quote]I'm sorry, I am with no doubt getting the wrong end of the stick here, but wouldn't this solve your problems...

As quoted from the second option of the dialog:

'Does not expand the canvas. You will have to move the pasted image around to make sure that the part you want is within the canvas boundaries.'

This keeps the original canvas size whilst allowing the pasting of a larger image, the only thing lost are parts of the pasted image. I can't see any other way of inserting a larger image onto a smaller one without resizing the new image or enlarging the canvas. Unless you do resize the to-be-pasted image first, in which case you are asking for an automatic resize of the new image through the pasting process, no?

I've got this all wrong, haven't I?

I recently did this with a banner I made for my wife's website, and I guess it is a good workaround. I have recently realized you can copy and paste with Paint.Net. It would be nice if eventually you can just drop an added layer, and not worry about it resizing your background!

Myrddin: We would like to see a dialog similar to the paste dialog when you use the "Layer > Import from file..." function.

Myrddin: We would like to see a dialog similar to the paste dialog when you use the "Layer > Import from file..." function.
Ah, right. Sorry, I didn't realise you were using Layers > Import From File in your example. I assumed (wrongly) you were copying from one canvas, switching to another tab/image and pasting that way, which would invoke the paste dialog.

I did wonder why you were missing something quite obvious in a feature you mentioned in your post; it now makes sense.