New rule -- Do not bite newbies

Hi Guys,

I'm a relative newbie (2 or 3 threads - one of which got locked straight away 'cos I broke the rules).

Of all the fora (plural for forum?) I participate in - this is the least friendly of them all.

I've looked at various threads where "the coders" clearly get p***ed off with users and it does feel like a very cliquey society where you've got to go through some sort of initiation before you can be considered OK.

Now tonight I've just finished working on a photo using PDN and I'm quite pleased with the results and would like to leave word of how I sorted it out after my initial requests for help. But After a quick scan of some threads I'm feeling really threatened that unless I read every little rule and thread about posting images I'll be immediately cut down and thread locked. That really does seem like a shame.

Most other places I visit take a kindly view of newbies and tolerate all but gross rule breaking.

One Site I'm a member of (I'm a pilot and this society also get's a bit cliquey at times as well) introduced a student's forum. No flaming, biting or any other criticism of posters in that forum is allowed. You can post general pleas for help etc. If that sort of message is posted in the wrong (e.g. General Discussion) forum then the Mod's just move it to the Stude's forum. That way - those who don't want to be bothered with inane comments from newbies aren't, but those who want to help those starting out can and the site is deemed friendly but still with banter and controversy.

Hoping I haven't upset anyone....

Neil

The Sky is a Beautiful Place

Sig2.jpg

Now tonight I've just finished working on a photo using PDN and I'm quite pleased with the results and would like to leave word of how I sorted it out after my initial requests for help. But After a quick scan of some threads I'm feeling really threatened that unless I read every little rule and thread about posting images I'll be immediately cut down and thread locked. That really does seem like a shame.

Just post your image in the Pictorium: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1072

Just post your image in the Pictorium: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1072

Done,

thx

Neil

The Sky is a Beautiful Place

Sig2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How many plugin authors give out their code?

If I remember right. When plugins started up around here at the begining 99% of them had the code given out with them for other programers. It was very helpful to as it ment that more programers could learn from other programers code and make nice plugins for Paint.NET. Now it seems like Plugin programers are out to get one another :roll:. I say come off it Paint.NET is free and Rick gives out the code for free. Why can't plugin makers do the same ? If anyone was going to take your plugin I got a feeling a Mod would go "Hey that not yours, (delete)" and if anyone could make your plugin better then thats a good thing as long as they talk to you 1st.

As for biting newbies ... Well it something I don't try to do and if it seems I am doing it, know this. I am not attacking you newbies, it only seems like that because I am right to the point in most posts. I have not found anyone on this forum that I don't like. Yes I may not agree with you on something but that does not mean I don't like you. My views here are the same as in the real world. Just because we don't agree or you get on my nerves is NOT a good reason to dislike someone.

Now it seems like Plugin programers are out to get one another :roll:.

I'm going to assume you're talking about me in that one... Sure I may seem harsh sometimes, but I'm certainly not "out to get" anyone. Sometimes people just need some sense slapped into them.

I say come off it Paint.NET is free and Rick gives out the code for free. Why can't plugin makers do the same ?
There's a lot more to it than that... We're already giving our (usually) hard work away for free, and that really should be enough for you.
If anyone was going to take your plugin I got a feeling a Mod would go "Hey that not yours, (delete)" and if anyone could make your plugin better then thats a good thing as long as they talk to you 1st.
Our moderators only have power on this forum. They certainly can't go policing the internet to protect a programmer's intellectual property. That's the programmer's job, and frankly, I for one have a lot better things to do than making sure people aren't ripping me off.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I'm going to assume you're talking about me in that one... Sure I may seem harsh sometimes, but I'm certainly not "out to get" anyone. Sometimes people just need some sense slapped into them.

Nope not at you at all. It just something I been seeing and is why i stay out of the plugin area.

There's a lot more to it than that... We're already giving our (usually) hard work away for free, and that really should be enough for you.

No one said it not enough but that it would be more helpful. I enjoy plugins and I always like to see new ones. I got a feeling that some plugin code could be very helpful in the making of new plugins. I doing programing and so far every app I have done I have let people see my code for it. Matter a fact if anyone takes VB.NET online at my college they may see my code in the student zone. I will be doing Java real soon and I got a feeling I will be the same way with that.

Our moderators only have power on this forum. They certainly can't go policing the internet to protect a programmer's intellectual property. That's the programmer's job, and frankly, I for one have a lot better things to do than making sure people aren't ripping me off.

Ture and I understand you want people to give you credit and not some low down code taker. But this is the real Paint.NET forums and website so I see more people downloading plugins they find here then looking for them on the net.

Oh well pyro it up to you and the other plugin makers what you do with your code. I just think it be nice to see the good old days were programers gave out there out to help other programers. I don't know there was something about it that made it feel "friendly" to me. I guess I am just use to that kind of stuff were I live.

This isn't really a discussion thread about plugin source...could I ask you guys to take this to a thread in the overflow? (Or , if you don't have much more to say...)

Thanks!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Oh, right. That thread. Yeah, we need to stop talking about this, because it's a ridiculous idea and it's not going to happen.

Our position is the same: we encourage plugin authors to release their source so that others can help with their plugins. But we will never require them to release their source.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 weeks later...
no biting noobs hmm not even a tiny nibble?

well better untrain that pack of noob biting wolves...

If that was an attempt at sarcasm or a joke, it failed. Badly.

Miserably in fact. However we forgive you, as you are a relative newbie (not noob!) yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. :)

I've just recently been introduced to Paint.net after asking noob questions about Photoshop. I can't really explain why since the two are very similar, but I immediately found PDN easier to navigate and now use it exclusively.

I registered yesterday after downloading some effects and working through my first tutorial on chrome letters. My attempt turned out quite a bit differently than expected but I liked the results and decided that becoming a member of this forum would be beneficial to my newest hobby.

Today, I had a few minutes to look over the forum and stumbled across this thread. I read most of it, then went and read the rules, and clicked on the "what's your age" poll, before finishing this thread and posting for my first time.

I completely agree with the rules. Many of them refer to subjects that I have found very irritating on other boards and it is good to see that a mature board etiquette is in effect here.

One question I had though is regarding rule 20? concerning trolls. I don't subscribe to many boards and although I have heard that term before, I'm not sure what it implies. Is a troll an individual who doesn't post much or an individual that seems to cause trouble when they do? I ask because I've heard people mention "trolling the boards" and I thought they were saying that they read them often but rarely posted. Is that incorrect?

Anyway, I'm going to see what else I can try out in the tutorials. Hopefully one day, I will be competent enough to help out the new guys. :)

Thanks Ash. :)

I've read over quite a few threads that you've contributed too. I really dig the chrome work in your sig and I checked out the links at the bottom. One of my favorites is the chrome plate with the three spheres sitting on top of it. I don't know why exactly. It just appeals to me.

Ah yes. I can see that now. :oops:

I started clicking on other links when I went back to the page. I swear I took the red pill because I keep finding more and more useful stuff. That transformer (Bumblebee?) is awesome BTW!

I do have a question or two but I'm going to post those in the "easy chrome" thread. ;)