Can I move Paint.NET to another computer without downloading

sunmoonbutterfly1

can i save my paint program from one computer to a disc and then add it to another computer so i dont have to re download all the pluggins we are gettin another computer and i was wanting to move my paint there if i can can some one tell me how i would go about doing this like what kind of disc and in gerneral how would i move it thanks anyone

It may be a good idea to redownload all the plugins anyway just to be sure you have the latest versions.

But, to strictly answer your question... Yes. It is possible to simply copy paint.net to another computer without needing to install it. HOWEVER, you will lose some Windows Explorer functionality. It really is best to reinstall on the new machine.

Hi sunmoon! just going through the forums and saw you post had'nt been replyed to so thought id lend a helping hand and sort our your problem for you.

first option:

re-download PDN on your new pc and take your effects over seperatly on a disc

second option;

take the whole PDN program and put it onto a disk and put it on to new computer

personally i recommend option 1 as it is simpler and easier but anyway please could you choose which you'd prefer

sigpdnfinished.png

~~EVERYTHING MADE IN PDN~~

To embellish on the above replies:

It would be best to fresh-install Paint.NET on the new machine just so you receive the benefits of a fully integrated program - use of printing, Explorer thumbnails, so on - rather than copy it across. Your plugins on the other hand can be easily burned onto a disk, copied onto flash drive, etc., and simply transferred to the other machine. What type of disk is entirely dependant on what you have and what you are able to burn onto; CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, they all work. Although, with such a small size for your entire effects catalogue, it would seem wise to use a flash drive for speed - unless you don't own one of course.

You may find all your downloaded effects and file types at these default locations (XP and Vista):

C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects

C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes

Copy the contents, paste the contents, play with the contents.

i have an off the topic question what about the fonts that i have dl on to my old computer can i do the same with them sorry for the touble i know my way around a computer to a point but some things im not to sure about lol again thanks for all the help

You can just copy the fonts off of the first one and onto the other. That's no problem. Just be careful that you don't copy over the ones like Arial, Times New Roman, etc. Those are on pretty much every computer, and would be a waste of your time. :-)

Oh, FYI - if you haven't added any fonts, there probably aren't any on your current computer that won't be on your new one.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

yeah i have dl font on to the old computer lol lots and lots by the way lol thanks for the help

You can just copy the fonts off of the first one and onto the other. That's no problem. Just be careful that you don't copy over the ones like Arial, Times New Roman, etc. Those are on pretty much every computer, and would be a waste of your time. :-)

Oh, FYI - if you haven't added any fonts, there probably aren't any on your current computer that won't be on your new one.

Correct me if i am wrong. But isn’t there also a folder for the color pallets in “My Documents / Paint.NET user files” that need to bee copied if it is custom made?

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

But isn’t there also a folder for the color pallets in “My Documents / Paint.NET user files” that need to bee copied if it is custom made?
Indeed there is. Good thinking Leif.

So sunmoonbutterfly1, if you have created any custom colour pallets, it would be wise to copy those *.txt files to your new machine too.

Save time, best option:

Just move the plugins and palettes. Re-download the program. Then you can use the rest of the time you save moving PdN to move your fonts. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Would PDN still work if I moved it from my PC to a Linux computer? I know I will need .NET Framework for that, can I move that one too? I know Paint.Net is made for Windows, just wondering.

Rostigalendapimp.png

No. The .NET framework will not work on a Linux box.

The last I heard from the Mono project was that it wasn't quite functional yet. But you'd have to look at the project page for that. Also, google "Paint.NET for Mono" to see about that. I believe someone has gotten a stripped-down version running, maybe. But I'm not sure.

thanks yall i decieded to just let my husband take the new one *sigh* lol he wanted a desktop anyways oh well but thanks for all the help at least i know if i ever need to do that thanks again anyone