Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 was released just recently. I was previously using .NET 3.0 with Paint.NET and decided to upgrade to 3.5 and decided to post with my findings. Paint.NET works perfectly well with it and starts instantly when I click on it. It is actually briefly faster then the previous version.

Cheers,

Dave

The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 was released just recently. I was previously using .NET 3.0 with Paint.NET and decided to upgrade to 3.5 and decided to post with my findings. Paint.NET works perfectly well with it and starts instantly when I click on it. It is actually briefly faster then the previous version.

Cheers,

Dave

And we would want to know why? :?:

I'm pretty much sure Rick has tested it with the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5.

Rick has discussed this a couple of times; he says he can't see requiring a framework so huge for a program that doesn't really benefit too much from it.

EDIT:

It depends on when I can feel that a 100 MB dependency download is reasonable for a 1.5 MB image editor to require. .NET 3.5 is huge.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I agree that the download for 3.5 was huge, a little over 200MB. I fully respect Rick's decision for not requiring or forcing 3.5 in the near future.

My only purpose of posting this was that the performance has been fantastic so far. I've only been using it for 45 minutes or so, but Paint.NET is performing much more efficiently and is much more snappier now then with 3.0 of the .NET framework. Performance is something that is very important to me when it comes to software and getting things done efficiently. I just wanted to share my experience, nothing more, nothing less.

I agree that the download for 3.5 was huge, a little over 200MB. I fully respect Rick's decision for not requiring or forcing 3.5 in the near future.

My only purpose of posting this was that the performance has been fantastic so far. I've only been using it for 45 minutes or so, but Paint.NET is performing much more efficiently and is much more snappier now then with 3.0 of the .NET framework. Performance is something that is very important to me when it comes to software and getting things done efficiently. I just wanted to share my experience, nothing more, nothing less.

200MB! What the hell!

You get .NET Framework 3.5 with the new Visual Studio, it was only a 58mb download! Is it your first time using a .NET Framework?

200MB! What the hell!

You get .NET Framework 3.5 with the new Visual Studio, it was only a 58mb download! Is it your first time using a .NET Framework?

I've used previous versions of the .NET Framework, but did a clean uninstall of them prior to installing 3.5. I downloaded the Full Redistributable Package of 3.5, rather than the bootstrapper.

Paint.NET is performing much more efficiently and is much more snappier now then with 3.0 of the .NET framework.

FYI:

.NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 uses the same versions of the CLR, namely 2.0.

Though, .NET 3.5 installs .NET 2.0 SP1 alongside, providing performance improvements for .NET 2.0-targeted applications, like Paint.NET.

Paint.NET does not make use of 3.0 or 3.5 additional librairies.

So, theorically, you could get the same improvements under a .NET 2.0 with SP1 installation.

You didn't understand anything?

Neither do I.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

The 200 MB download is for network administrators who deploy to a lot of computers.

It includes .NET 2.0 and its service packs, .NET 3.0 and its service pack, and .NET 3.5 ... for both x86 and x64. That's why it's so big. So instead of having 4 different editions (upgrade x86, full x86, upgrade x64, full x64) they just have 1. Makes life easier for these folks, as 200 MB isn't that much when blasted across a gigabit LAN.

If you just use the 3 MB "bootstrapper" it will only need to download ~55 MB. Which is still a lot, as .NET 2.0 is only about 22 MB.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

The 200 MB download is for network administrators who deploy to a lot of computers.

It includes .NET 2.0 and its service packs, .NET 3.0 and its service pack, and .NET 3.5 ... for both x86 and x64. That's why it's so big. So instead of having 4 different editions (upgrade x86, full x86, upgrade x64, full x64) they just have 1. Makes life easier for these folks, as 200 MB isn't that much when blasted across a gigabit LAN.

If you just use the 3 MB "bootstrapper" it will only need to download ~55 MB. Which is still a lot, as .NET 2.0 is only about 22 MB.

Yeah, I like to alway keep a copy on my local drive, so if I need to reinstall or something, I don't have to download again, or even need a internet connection :)

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]