what are plugins?

Plugins add more features to paint.net. An example of a something that adds an additional feature is shape3D. With that, you can turn your image into a realistic 3D shape. Other plugins are enhanced versions of features already in paint.net. An example of that is curves+, which is a much more powerful version of curves. Just browse the plugin section and try some of the stuff.

Heres you you install plugins

And it would be impossible to create a plugin that cuts out an image perfectly for you.

I'm still alive!

And it would be impossible to create a plugin that cuts out an image perfectly for you.

QFT. Even Photoshop doesn't have anything like that.

Frojo, have you been absent recently? I don't remember seeing you...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

QFT. Even Photoshop doesn't have anything like that.

I won't bet on it.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I have photoshop. It has the Magic Lasso, which gets you pretty close, but it's far from perfect. There's just no way for the computer to tell the difference between what you want to keep and what you don't want to keep.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.