Sign in to follow this  
DarkShock

Battle of the Browsers

Which Internet Browser Do YOU Like?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which Internet Browser Do YOU Like?

• Firefox
    • Internet Explorer
    • Safari
    • Opera

I wander if there will ever be an EU antitrust ruling for IE.

Maybe like this: Windows may include IE but it must be a version that will stop working after 60 days and every time it starts up remind them to install another browser. And they are not allowed to just have a seperate version of Windows with no web-browser.

I highly doubt that. Users should not be forced to switch to a different browser if their operating system comes pre-installed with one. Take a car for example: Should the buyer of a new car be forced to change the dealer-installed air filter within the first month simply to spread the market share around between FRAM and K&N?

The users incentive to switch browsers should come from the desire for something better. The thing is, many people don't know or don't care about the problems with IE, and simply want to browse the Internet with as little work as possible. If that's their prerogative, they should be allowed to stick with Internet Explorer.

Microsoft bundles software with it's operating system because they are applications necessary for general computing tasks. Bundled software is not only helpful, but necessary - how could one download a new browser if the system didn't come installed with one to access the requisite site (and no, using the CLI to manually extablish an FTP session isn't a viable option :P)? A user should not be forced to scavenge for software just to be able to use their computer for something. Certainly there are other options out there, but if the bundled software fills the users need, they shouldn't be forced to look for something else simply for the sake of sticking it to Microsoft.

Apple does the same thing as Microsoft, except it's even more of a monopoly, as the software they bundle is their own iLife suite of Life-sapping monotony. Apple is the perfect example of a monopoly - they control all of the hardware and most of the software that goes into their computers - but when people think of a computing monopoly, they invariably think of Microsoft first, simply because Microsoft has the larger user share.

Apple does the same thing as Microsoft, except it's even more of a monopoly, as the software they bundle is their own iLife suite of Life-sapping monotony. Apple is the perfect example of a monopoly - they control all of the hardware and most of the software that goes into their computers - but when people think of a computing monopoly, they invariably think of Microsoft first, simply because Microsoft has the larger user share.

I know - and I will tell you now - Apple are one of my least fravorite companies.

Apple are one of my least fravorite companies.

:shock:

And I thought Ash's grammar mistake made me cry.

A company is a collection of people.

He means your miss-spelling of "favorite".

Does it really matter? I never bother to use correct spelling and grammar on web-forums because no-one ever notices.

Anyway, back to discussing web-browsers.

Edit: Actually I guess it is on topic - I have just proved how useless firefox's spell check is. :wink:

Does it really matter? I never bother to use correct spelling and grammar on web-forums because no-one ever notices.
People do here, more than in most places... :-)
Edit: Actually I guess it is on topic - I have just proved how useless firefox's spell check is. :wink:

You just ignored the red underline under "fravorite." :-) It's yelling at me right now.

But yes, let's get back on-topic, please.

At this rate there will be a "Worst Spelling And Grammar Award" in the pdn forum awards 2008. (Lets move the spelling thing to the off-topic if we must discuss it further).

But anyway, I just don't see any real reason why Joe's grandmother would want to switch to an alternative browser even if they did know they exist.

Apple are one of my least fravorite companies.

:lol:

This is classic. I have a conditional dislike for Apple as well, but this has to go in my sig.

Well, I do have both Firefox and IE, I think they are equally good, but i use internet explorer more, i just like the look of it. the back and foreward buttons are so pretty! i want to make them in pdn, it would be kind of easy i can imagine, does anybody know how to make them?

That is a good theme, and perfect for those who are beginning their transition between the two and are hardened IE fans. Also for those who like the slick look of IE yet the functionality (read: everything else) of Firefox. If it was not for my arrangement of FF at the moment, I would be using it (it appears it does not like everything being on the Menu toolbar).

Speaking of themes, what is everyone's opinion on the proposed new theme for FF3*? I agree with Percy that the latest mock-up should be a little more desaturated like the current FF2 default and that a thicker Refresh button is in need, but I haven't seen the Vista version yet, which is more relevant to me.

*for anyone interested in a more detailed design brief, this article (linked from the blog post) is an absolutely fascinating read: http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007/11/15/the-shape-of-things-to-come/.

Especially regarding the circumference design of the back button in relation to each OS - which could be called 'over-the-top', but is interesting natheless.

Looks like IE is boosting in votes. I wonder if those voters tried FireFox yet. :P

I bet most people who like IE best are either people who have only used ie, web developers and Microsoft employees.

A while ago BG said in an interview by the BBC that he doesn't use competitor's products. I seriously doubt that is 100% true. Windows Movie Maker, anyone?

I bet most people who like IE best are...web developers...
I seriously doubt any self-respecting web designer would entertain IE as their browser of choice.

I bet most people who like IE best are...web developers...
I seriously doubt any self-respecting web designer would entertain IE as their browser of choice.

Not for using - but they probably hate firefox because of the pain of designing for multiple browsers - more so in the upcoming browser wars.

I've always seen that it is IE at the centre of abhorrence because it is that browser which is forcing web developers to use ill-designed workarounds for its shortcomings. Other browsers, the ones which keeps the Internet smiling, are the ones which are adorned by developers.

That is my impression anyway, speaking from the mouth of a non-developer.

What really angers me is when web developers forget to make their code compliant with Opera or Firefox. For instance, Myspace just released page themes that only work with IE (Ok, I did not try it with FF). It does not work with Opera, and Opera is one of the most Standards Compliant Browser around!