Sign in to follow this  
DarkShock

Battle of the Browsers

Which Internet Browser Do YOU Like?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which Internet Browser Do YOU Like?

• Firefox
    • Internet Explorer
    • Safari
    • Opera

I bet neither firefox or opera are that standards complient. They have to add new features that the W3 don't support to keep up with the competition.

Adding new features does not mean shirking web standards. Web standards refer to the rendering of the page - the way the browser engine reads, parses, and renders the HTML, CSS, Javascript, et cetera that it is given by the browser.

I'd liken it to Paint.NET - You create a picture last month with 3.20, but by now you've upgraded to 3.22. You can still open the 3.20-created PDN in 3.22 because Rick hasn't changed the section of the code that reads the PDN format. He can fix bugs, add new features, and integrate new plugins, all without changing how the program reads and interprets the data in the PDN file.

Similarly, web browser features and web browser rendering engines are two separate parts to the program as a whole, and can be changed independently of one another.

I bet neither firefox or opera are that standards complient. They have to add new features that the W3 don't support to keep up with the competition.

No, that's what IE tries to do...

And that's what IE and Netscape did in the last browser war. If you read some of the stuff MS has been saying about their work on IE8, they seem to have finally started learning their lesson... maybe...

acutally the browser isnt very good at all

^^^^see if you right click it, it wont give you other options as what it could be, so its worse than Firefox, i hope they improve it, i love it though

acutally the browser isnt very good at all...

Really, it's not designed to be a "browser" like Firefox. It's intended to interface with rich web applications to provide an integrated music experience. It can analyze a web page for media content thereon and offer you a way to interact with it. So, it's kinda like Firefox with Foxytunes linked to your favorite MP3 app (iTunes, WinAMP, WiMP), except it's all in one standalone application.

Granted, an integrated spell-check dictionary of suggestions would be nice, but I don't see it as a make-or-break feature for an application who's primary function isn't true "web browsing."

By the way, I'm posting from Songbird myself. :wink:

Kinda odd seeing those advertisements at the top of the page...

A stroke of luck, no doubt!

You need to do some research on probability and statistics.

If 75% of people (using random numbers here) have voted for a particular choice in something, then there is a 75% chance that the next person will vote for the same.

Before the 100th vote, Firefox had somewhere in the neighborhood of 65-70% of the votes. So, chances for next vote to be Firefox? 65-70%.

Not "a stroke of luck"

Ah, but firefox users probably spend the most time browsing the web, and so they get to the poll first and the firefox figure will so go down. And how many people had voted when you made your prediction? The 200th vote will probably have a lesser proportion of firefox votes.

And I proclaim myself 2008's winner of the "Wrong End of a Massive Pwnage" Award! I know, that every time I post in defense of Opera there will always be those who post in defense of Firefox against my argument....

Sabrown, how do you expect somebody to answer that? Why do you like Firefox? It isnt simply so much what I like about Opera as it is Opera itself.

The plugins, the the themes, the seperate download window, the not-as-minimalistic-as-opera interface, ect.

Ah, but firefox users probably spend the most time browsing the web, and so they get to the poll first and the firefox figure will so go down. And how many people had voted when you made your prediction? The 200th vote will probably have a lesser proportion of firefox votes.

Your logic there... is very... questionable... in fact, i may go so far as to say... it's... completely ludicrous.

It's well-known that Firefox has a MUCH lower market share than IE, mainly because IE is bundled with Windows.

So why the disproportionate poll score in this forum? Simple. This is a Paint.NET forum. Clearly, people posting here know what open-source software is, how to get it, how to use it, the advantages (and disadvantages) that being open source entails.

Many of the people using IE don't even know there are alternatives. Most IE users probably use MSPaint, or don't edit photos at all.

And I proclaim myself 2008's winner of the "Wrong End of a Massive Pwnage" Award! I know, that every time I post in defense of Opera there will always be those who post in defense of Firefox against my argument....

^Not capitalized!

You weren't posting in defense of Opera, which is perfectly respectable. You were posting in opposition to Firefox. Which is blasphemy. ;)

What do you like about opera?

What I hate about Opera is that it crashed on me but before it crashed, it was very sluggish!

im using safari 3 beta for windows available off the apple site, but the java is really bad so i use internet explorer 7 when i need to access a java site :roll:

im using safari 3 beta for windows available off the apple site, but the java is really bad so i use internet explorer 7 when i need to access a java site :roll:

Sooo... you're triply torturing yourself?

You're torturing yourself by using Safari.

You're torturing yourself even worse by using IE7.

And you're torturing yourself even more by constantly switching between browsers....

:roll: :roll: :roll:

To be fair - it's probably a security decision - that or Apple are very cynical to open source.