Battle of the Browsers

DarkShock

Which Internet Browser Do YOU Like?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which Internet Browser Do YOU Like?

• Firefox
    • Internet Explorer
    • Safari
    • Opera

You mean curable?

AIDS is not curable. And I improved my analogy above.

Ah, but it is easy to avoid ;)

If you're educated about it. Remember that many people in less privileged countries than mine or yours still are completely unaware of the connection between sex and HIV/AIDS. Likewise, many internet users don't know "The Truth About IE."

:roll:

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

You guys even talking about the browsers anymore?

I saw something about AIDS and wondered if you guys started to drift off-topic.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

You guys even talking about the browsers anymore?

I saw something about AIDS and wondered if you guys started to drift off-topic.

No, we're not off-topic. Yes, we're talking about browsers.

Are you being serious cause some how I never know if your being sarcastic or not. :P

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

They're making analogous connections between PCs pre-installed with IE and persons born with HIV.

The moral of the story is that IE in its current form is bad for the Internet. :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Because if you use IE, you'll die.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Sorry to upset you, BoltBait.

Guys, you can say the negatives about each browser, but you can put some preposterous statements about them. This is about your favorite browser and why.

@BoltBait: couldn't ya give us a warning? :P

In what way is it bad for the internet?

Internet Explorer improperly handles and in some cases flat-out ignores several web standards in the areas of CSS and Javascript. Check out this site for a breakdown, with examples:

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/wrongWithIE/

Several of the problems therein were fixed with Internet Explorer 7, but Microsoft also decided to take the lazy route and make IE7 for XP and Vista only. That means that as long as there are computers running Windows 2000 and previous out there, web developers have to cater to the myriad problems and errors in IE6. If you've upgraded your browser to IE7 already, you can get a stand-alone copy of IE6 to run through the test here:

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone

(Download and extract the ie6eolas_nt.zip package.)

Because Internet Explorer comes pre-installed on Windows machines, the average user doesn't think they need to download another browser. After all, they already have something that works, right? This is the main reason behind the huge market share IE has, and that means there's a huge number if users only running IE out there. There are things the Internet can do, but because of the prevalence of IE and the things it can't do, web developers are kept in check, or forced to put hours into workarounds so as many users as possible can see the site as intended.

~ Becoming the Archetype

but Microsoft also decided to take the lazy route and make IE7 for XP and Vista only.

I doubt they were just being lazy.

Because Internet Explorer comes pre-installed on Windows machines, the average user doesn't think they need to download another browser. After all, they already have something that works, right? This is the main reason behind the huge market share IE has

I still don't understand why the EU went after WMP in the antitrust ruling and not IE.

KaHuc.png

so.... the current Firefox or IE8?

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.

I read a really good article that broke down the Browser battle quite decently. I can only summarize, and not link to it as I do not remember the exact location of the site I had visited. It categorized Firefox as a simple, easy to learn browser that directed its developement towards the average user with its high end security and IE look alike interface (IE6, and that is without a skin). Second was Opera, which was categorized as a proffesional web browser, with its intuitive built in features, such as a mail client, rss client, and chat client. So basically, if you simply want to surfe the nets, and get the most out of it, use Firefox. But if you want a suite of applications developed by a group of paid developers that caders to the average business man and web site dev, then Opera is for you. I think this an all around fair judgement, and I realize that Firefox can equal Opera via plugins. But face it, an average user doesnt want to install extra components that might not work with a future release, and is not (usuall) directly supported by the developers themselves, while Opera includes many great features that are almost always updated with next version without second installation.

As for Internet Explorer, I really have no problem with it. I dont use it as a standalone browser, and I dont think IE would be in existence if it wasnt for the fact that Microsoft has to have a browser that can be upgraded to integrate their new technologies (i.e. Windows Update, Silverlight, ect...) I do not use the browser on a regular basis, as it lacks many features that I cannot live without that are prepackaged with Opera.

As for Safari for Windows, I think the same basic principle applies with it as it does with Internet Explorer. Apple needs a platform that it can test new technologies with, and I think is a signal that their .MAC may one day see a Windows version, as I believe that, as previously stated, Apple is trying to stretch themselves. If Apple can get all of their software on Windows, Safari being the test pilot, than it will be doing something Microsoft isnt doing. Do I have Safari? No. But, as hypocrytical as it will sound, I think we need to show some respect to the browser as it is simply in a beta stage. I think there is a possibilitie that it will be updated and fixed for Windows, and we may have a much more stable browser out there that can compete with Mozilla and Opera.

Last, but not least (bear with me), as long as Firefox and Opera are the only browsers to support almost all platforms, they will always be the best looked upon browsers. Opera, in this case, supporting the most platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Mobile Phones ect...) will be one of the more used browsers in years to come, until we do see a portable version of Firefox. All in all, the browser war is not something that should be discussed, as each browser is very individual and unique, and serves its own purpose. Comparing browsers now adays is as difficult as comparing videogame platforms. With such unique possibilities, it will never be a fair comparisson.

Mike Ryan

signature.png

but Microsoft also decided to take the lazy route and make IE7 for XP and Vista only.
I doubt they were just being lazy.
I don't. With as many programmers as Microsoft employs, they can't afford not to be lazy. If they used the time and resources necessary to make IE7 backwards compatible, they'd lose a large amount of money that wouldn't be recuperated - that is, users who still run Win2000 or Win98 (dare I even say Win95? 3.1?!? *shudder*) are very unlikely to be upgrading to a newer system anytime soon (seeing as how they haven't done so in the past 7-20 years). From a financial standpoint, it just doesn't make sense. So they focus their energies elsewhere, therefore being lazy in the IE-for-legacy-systems area. It means that Bill Gates gets more money, and thus, is more able to be lazy on the golf course. Q.E.D. :-)

I know, I know. Semantics. :-)

Because if you use IE, you'll die.
This is actually very intentionally worded. Again, semantics. While it sounds like I'm claiming that IE can cause death, if you look closely, you'll see that I didn't actually claim that. I just said that if you use IE, you'll die. For that matter, if you use FF, you'll die. Opera? Same story. You can use Mosaic and you still won't get out alive.

See, everyone dies. Life is terminal, and no browser can change that.

ray of sunshine>

Anyway, don't use IE. :-)

And that's the end of my novel. Please keep an eye out for my sequel, on bookshelves soon!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

...It categorized Firefox as a simple, easy to learn browser that directed its developement towards the average user with its high end security and IE look alike interface (IE6, and that is without a skin). Second was Opera, which was categorized as a proffesional web browser, with its intuitive built in features, such as a mail client, rss client, and chat client.

Now, I have the exact opposite view. Opera is a fully-featured browser for a user who doesn't want to mess around with addons. Firefox is a piecemeal browser developed with an open architecture for outside programmers. The way I see it, Opera is for the average user, where Firefox is for the power-user.

Take a look at Opera's Widgets in the Web Developer category. Video watching enhancements, calculators, an abacus, and a Mandelbrot Fractal generator (WTBiscuit). Firefox's Web Development add ons are things like NoScript (Javascript access control), the Web Developer add-on and Firebug (local cache-based real-time HTML/CSS/Javascript editing/debugging), and network status monitoring tools. Opera seems to be for people who want to enjoy the web, where Firefox caters to people who want to do things with the web. Being a professional web designer, Web Developer and Firebug are invaluable tools for me. I know Opera does have some script-based HTML page debugger, but I've tried it, and it doesn't compare.

Please understand that this is not an attack on Opera or people who use Opera. It is, as you stated, comparing things with two different intended audiences. As I've said before, Opera is an excellent browser that is in some instances more standards-compliant than my beloved Firefox, and I will happily support anyone using it (I think I got my Dad to switch to Opera :wink: ). Firefox simply caters more to my needs.

~ Becoming the Archetype

CMD, i expressed your opinion within my article. Firefox is extensible, and Opera is not. If you use the plugins with firefox, you easily get the most powerful web browser out there. But your Average Joe hardly knows there is a firefox, and once he downloads it I highly doubt he will start adding plugins, and adjusting preferences and skins. Whereas with Opera, Average Joe and can set up his email and save his passwords effectively at startup, and is already experiencing more power than what he would of had he simply installed Firefox. You are using Firefox effectively, and can get all of the features Opera comes with, plus way more. Average Joe doesnt know that, or doesnt care to know that. Thus, when two browsers are stripped down, as I stated, Opera is geared towards Proffesional use, whereas Firefox is flexible, and easy for the Average Joe. So basically it is a paradox, I agree with you and as well disagree. It is a matter of opinion on how to look at Firefox. Either way, you cannot make a fair judgement of the two browsers because they are geared towards two audiences. I will always have an install of both browsers, and I use one way more than the other, which I wont state as I am trying to make an unbiased arguement :D

signature.png

Whereas with Opera, Average Joe and can set up his email and save his passwords effectively at startup, and is already experiencing more power than what he would of had he simply installed Firefox. You are using Firefox effectively, and can get all of the features Opera comes with, plus way more.

When you use opera for the first time - it looks very minimalist.

KaHuc.png

Mike.Ryan 52, that is probably the longest post that wasn't the first post of a thread.

no, i think CMD had a longer one about Apple once, i dont remember where though

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.