Layers, how do they work..

Ive recently created some wallpapers but i have a problem ^^ i guess im not stupid but i just dont find out the clue..

so the thing is, lemme say i got 2 pictures.

i have 2 layers. one is the wallpaper. one should be a small pic on it.

so first i create the background (wp) and then i add another smaller pic. up to this all fine.

but then when i add the new pic i cant modify the background anymore, i mean i cant change the size by the drag clicks.. only the new one offers that options.

then i want to change the size of the 2. layer with the small pic because its too big or small (whatever, just a test) but paint changes the whole project to smaller or bigger, i just want LAYER 2 smallr ^^ :oops:

so how can i make sure, i can modify every layer on its own and the sizestuff etc..

thanks for replies guys.. i really wait to see hows the easy answer ^^

In life, there are no easy answers.

You can't resize layers individually unless you select the whole layer (using the Recangle Select select-rect.gif tool or the Lasso Select, Circle Select, or Magic Wand) and switch to the Move Selected Pixels move-select-pix.gif tool and use the nubs to resize the image.

Or you can open each image in seperate Paint.NETs, resize the whole image, and paste the resized image into the one with layers.

I could be wrong--if I am someone will correct me so I just answered this the best I could...

No ShimmeryDaze, you are not wrong!

Simon:

Layers are very useful for creating more complex compositions. Like my sig down there: I used 15 layers so I could apply different effects/positioning to each element without breaking the other elements. Firstly, it was necessary in this example because of the blending modes I needed to use to get the cutout effect and translucency.

Secondly, and more generally, layers keep portions of the image separate from one another. Take for instance the Paint.NET Logo on the left side. If, after I put it there, I decided I thought it might look better on the right side, I could move it over with no problem because it was on a separate layer. If I had put it on the same layer as the background, the color information of the Logo's pixels would have overwritten the pixels of the background. So if I moved it then, I'd first have to use the Lasso Select tool to get just the logo, then move it over, and I'd be left with a logo-shaped hole in my background on the left where it used to be.

My philosophy: You can never have too many layers! (Depending upon your system capabilities, of course) :wink:

If any of that was difficult to understand (and if I know me (which I do), it was), don't hesitate to ask for clarification!

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

so i have to use the lasso to move pics from their layers?

Before you can move anything, it must be selected. If you only want to move a part of the layer, or you have an object that's on a layer with other things, sometimes the best way to select it is via the Lasso. If you don't need to draw around something you don't want to move, you don't have to use the Lasso.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Ok, so I'm just starting out. I have a base image that I'm using and I want to add another on top of it. So I select Layers and import from file.

This opens up a new layer with my new image in it. I had problems with positioning this image. So I selected it and cut it out and pasted it to a new layer. Then I was able to move it around, but I would also like to shrink the new image in order to make it fit better with the background. Here is where I'm lost. I selected the section that I want to re-size and make my changes with ctrl+R but it changes all the layers instead of just the one I'm trying to.

Thanks for the help in advance

With the stuff you want resized selected, switch the the Move Selected Pixels tool. Your selection will get little nubs at the cardinal directions. Grab one of those nubs and drag to resize. If you want to constrain it to its original aspect ratio (uniform scale), just hold [shift] while you're dragging.

~ Becoming the Archetype

• 3 weeks later...

I love the program! It's so simple, yet quite powerfull!

The thing with the layers I don't like though: when u select a layer it should apear the selection and than u can move it or anything u want to do. I know there is the Rotate/Zoom tool for layer but it's not the same.

I don't know,maybe I am wrong or anything, but...whatever.

Anyways, I love the program! Thanks!