plugins/effects updates

One thing i think would be very cool for PDN, would be an "updates" service, like Firefox has...

Someplace (some kind of online application) where authors can publish their plugins/filetypes/effects/etc., along with a readme, or link to the relevant forum post about the current version (what's new/changed)...

so then when PDN starts up, it can check for updates to whatever plugins you have, and alert you to whats new and updated, and allow you to choose which ones you wish to install. Again... just thinking of the way Firefox works as a good example.

Funny you should mention Firefox.

Check out this blog post Rick made a few months ago about the 3.x series: What's Next for Paint.NET?

An excerpt from said blog post:

Users have also been crying out for a way to organize their effects into submenus, and I’m hoping to provide that as well. You’ll also be able to install a plugin just for yourself, or for all users on the system. Maybe I can also provide a way for plugins to be able to check for their own updates and to then invite the user to install them (like Firefox does).

So, rest assured it's on the way. Paint.NET is Rick's program, so if Rick wants to do something, there are good odds it'll get done. :)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

EDIT: Dan beat me. And I was wrong.

Wow, that's cool! Good idea. Looking forward to it. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

The Fox is smart. 8)

the idea of being able to install plugins "for yourself"... does this mean you can change the folder where they'll be installed? I'd LOVE to install them under my "Documents" folder, instead of c:\program files\...

so that its one less thing i need to remember to backup when rebuilding or transferring to a new machine;

I'd LOVE to install them under my "Documents" folder, instead of c:\program files\...

so that its one less thing i need to remember to backup when rebuilding or transferring to a new machine;

Not only is it 1 less thing to remember, but having your plugins in Documents as opposed to Program Files will allow people who have lower security privileges on the computer they're using to install plugins as well.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I'd LOVE to install them under my "Documents" folder

Ever looked in the the "/Documents and Settings/username/Application Data" folder?

Firefox's way to handle add-ons (don't say plugins, it makes Tristan Nitot going angry) the update management in particular, is much more powerful and easy of use, but it needs a awfully complicated entrusting architecture.

I'm not really sure Rick would do that.

allow people who have lower security privileges on the computer they're using to install plugins as well.

That's what is bad, it destroy all the purpose of "limited privileges".

BTW, the "whole bunch of inconsistent various data repository formerly known as the My Documents folder" don't exist in Vista, at least the "let's put stuff randomly in there" habit seems to be less virulent.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Ever looked in the the "/Documents and Settings/username/Application Data" folder? ... That's what is bad, it destroy all the purpose of "limited privileges".

no it doesn't. places like Program files, and all those kinds of places would still be protected by UAC (unless it's turned off, or on XP, in which case it's moot anyway).

BTW, the "whole bunch of inconsistent various data repository formerly known as the My Documents folder" don't exist in Vista, at least the "let's put stuff randomly in there" habit seems to be less virulent.

That mentality is really a case of PEBCAK, not the programs. This is why i would go for letting the user specify where to look for the plugins... not just auto-dumping them in Documents.

I ALWAYS separate my Windows/Programs installation onto a C: partition, and put as much as possible of all my data, documents, program settings and such all on a separate partition, all nicely, neatly organized how i want them, including repointing all the shell folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.) to my own folders. This way when i transfer to a new machine, i just copy my one partition, and I'm done.

So i would LOVE for the ability to specify where they are, so i can keep them organized according to my personal filing system.

I don't see how storing plugins in AppData is violation of limited access. If you're on a limited account, the plugins can still only do stuff within your privileges, and the changes aren't system wide. It's like downloading any old exe file (like a portable application) and executing it without installation.