"grainy" images after using Autolevel

Shakyr

Hi,

Have been cleaning up some old photos using Paint .NET that came out a bit dark and I've found Autolevel does it nicely, but it occasionally leaves the image "grainy".

Is there a way to remove or lessen this? I've attached one of the images (Autolevel + Resize 25%).

10668_8b38af9a0354bc56924aa72066bbc27f

Cheers,

Daryl Keehn

i believe the grains are called noise, median blur is supposed to be noise reduction, but i prefure to use small amounts of blurs, and then sharpening, if it is to blurry

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.

Autolevel itself is not making the images grainy. Rather, they were already grainy, but were darker so it was not as apparent. Autolevel just made it more... obvious. As for REMOVING the grain, you can try the GREYCstoration plugin or the method that Panhead suggested. Panhead's way is much easier, but the plugin will give you a much better final result, as well as giving you far more control over the final image. But GREYCstoration has been called "evil" for a reason... So, good luck.

EDIT: Here's the link to GREYCstoration... http://cmdsketchpad.com/pdn/GREYCstoration_pdn.zip

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!