Switching from paint to paint.net. Thanks for the help!

Hello everyone,

First of all this is an amazing program. I love it. I'm used to using MS Paint because as much as i love art i could never see my self paying 700 dollars for something like Photoshop. Ive gone through the tutorials forum and tried out different things, but I'm having trouble creating what i want to create. I no what i want to draw in my head and may no how to do it on paint, but doing it on Paint.net is currently difficult. Hopefully when I learn more about this program it will be more about the art and not trying to figure out how to use features. Really any advice would be appreciated. One thing that ive been having trouble with is shading or blending. I'm messed around with the gradient tool and the paint brush and some of the effects, i feel like im close but not up to par. I noticed that most of the tutorials are how to draw this or that. Which is cool but i almost need a tutorial on how to do the basics.

Thanks again!

japannese.jpg

Support Our Troops, End The War

There's a thread in this forum called "Paint.NET tips and tricks" that has some good stuff. Aside from that, and the F1 help file, the Tutorials section is where to look. Paint.NET has way too many applications done by way too many people for one tut to cover everything. For instance, Ash does mostly realistic comp-designed artwork here. I spend most of my time on Paint.NET making backgrounds for the slides at my campus organization's meetings. Some people (Sozo, uH) use it as the last step in fractal creation. Others use it to optimize photos. So, as you can imagine, one tutorial wouldn't come close to helping us all. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Well, there really isn't any tutorials on "The Basics of Paint.NET".

Dan was charged* to make it.

*hides*

*in charge of? Both works :D

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

* Dan hangs his head in shame

Actually, I was just thinking today that, with a two-week break from classes this month for Thanksgiving, I should be able to get started on that for real. And make my Alpha Masking tutorial more understandable...

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype