g1n

Hello there,

i've got a really weird prob over here. Facts of configuration:

Windows 2003 Server (Domain)

WinXP SP2 clients

.NET framework 2.0 installed

newest Windowsinstaller applied

MSI build by Paint.NET Setup

I'm trying to install Paint.NET 3.10 with a GroupPolicyObject in a Windows 2003 Domain.

I've downloaded the setupfile from the official site, and build an MSI package using the

integrated parameters. The MSI package has been build successfully and i've had integrated

it into the GPO. This GPO is linked with some computergroups within the domain. After deploying

this Policy, the setup started on every computer. After loggin in, no Paint.NET has been installed

(on none of those PCs). After searching the eventlog i found on every Computer this errormessage:

Source: MsiInstaller

Event: 11721

Product: Paint.NET v3.10 -- Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: _577D73A5_8502_4A32_A3DC_26C3DEF80357, location: C:\Programme\Paint.NET\SetupNgen.exe, command: /install DESKTOPSHORTCUT=1 PDNUPDATING=0 SKIPCLEANUP=0 "PROGRAMSGROUP=" QUEUENGEN=0

I've tried to built another package with other parameters, same result.

Any Suggestions? I'm at the End of my Knowledge.

I'd forgotten, installing with the same MSI file as local administrator is no problem.

EDIT: Complete madness, utter nonsense, and stuff that I've been set straight on and will never make the same mistake again. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

If I'm way off base, let me know.

No offense, but you are.

Paint.NET can be installed through AD/GPO, there's even a dedicated page for it.

----

g1n: Just a try...

Is the .NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727 (Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN) ...service activated on your machines?

It's the only "third-party" program I can think of.

By the way:

location: C:\Programme\Paint.NET\SetupNgen.exe, command: /install DESKTOPSHORTCUT=1 PDNUPDATING=0 SKIPCLEANUP=0 "PROGRAMSGROUP=" QUEUENGEN=0

?

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Oops. Changed!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

It's activated for manually starting. if i try to change that, the services changes itself back to "manually".

I'd recreated the MSI package with theese settings

c:\Paint.exe /createmsi /targetdir=%PROGRAMFILES%\Paint.NET /checkforupdates=0 /checkforbetas=0 /JPGPNGBMPEDITOR=0 /tgaeditor=1 /desktopshortcut=0 /programsgroup=Paint.NET

i'd renamed the filename!

the silly thing is, the evntlogentry is the same...still:

DESKTOPSHORTCUT=1 PDNUPDATING=0 SKIPCLEANUP=0 "PROGRAMSGROUP=" QUEUENGEN=0

dunno why! and the best ist...when i install the package manually, it creates a desktopshortcut!

It's activated for manually starting. if i try to change that, the services changes itself back to "manually".

Same happen here, so it seems like it's a normal behavior.

Can't go further, sorry, can't you get a more detailed error log, so someone versed in GPO admin may answer?

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

yes, and I've got no problem with install or uninstall paint.net manually. i'd tried with a complete remove (with everything!)...no chance. .NET framework is working fine, there 're no problems with other programs which using it.

hey guys,

i stopped trying to deploying the package with GPO and wrote a script which is running before windowslogin....a startupscript. and guess what....the same error!

paintja2.jpg

That's the script:

IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\Paint.NET\PaintDotNet.exe" goto paint.ende
X:\Installationsdateien\Paint.NET\paint.net.exe /auto TARGETDIR=C:\Programme\Paint.NET DESKTOPSHORTCUT=0 CHECKFORBETAS=0 CHECKFORUPDATES=0 JPGPNGBMPEDITOR=0 TGAEDITOR=1
copy X:\Installationsdateien\Paint.NET\plugins\*.* "%PROGRAMFILES%\Paint.NET\Effects"
:paint.ende

Setup starts and works fine....and get stopped with this error.

I dunno why, but paint.NET seems to be resistan against "installing before login"!

the testsystem was clean...only winXP and .Net Framework were installed, no paint.net @anytime

any ideas? :(

EDIT: is it useful to install all patches/updates of .NET Framework 2.0?