Paint.NET v3.20 *ALPHA* is now available

Very nice update! Here's one pdn rookie who appreciates the move toward "more easily discoverable." Also, the option to manipulate the center coordinates in many of the blurs/distortions is extremely useful. Beauty.

Plugin Issues

I have a feeling that this might have been intentional, but I wanted to mention it anyway: several of the plugins that have been integrated into the basic program but have alternative control functions if a user chooses to use the plugin (rather than the integrated effect) are crashing the program at the moment. Examples:

--Sharpen+ (as mentioned earlier in this topic);

--Outline (OBJECT --> Outline); and

--Portrait (not Soften Portrait).

The integrated effects cover most of the bases provided by the plugins, but Sharpen+, for example, covers a lot of ground that the integrated Sharpen can't handle.

Thanks again.

1223994961_newstonesoup.png

... I should have been a pair of ragged claws ... - T.S. Eliot

Taboo Monkey Blue Blog: Writing on Writing - Sudoku Tips and Tricks - The Greatest Maze

Plugin Issues

All known, thanks anyway for reporting it.

The effect system is being rewritten somehow, here's why :)

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Ummm.... Soften Portrait is exactly the same as Portrait...

Not EXACTLY. :D

Rick changed Soften Portrait so that it wouldn't crash. If you notice, the range of the first slider is now 1- where it was 0- before.

I believe Rick has agreed to change it back... not sure.

Ummm.... Soften Portrait is exactly the same as Portrait...

Not EXACTLY. :D

Rick changed Soften Portrait so that it wouldn't crash. If you notice, the range of the first slider is now 1- where it was 0- before.

I meant the effect that is the end result... Not the code itself.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

question does this still work with MKT's 3d plug in? i certainly hope so or I'll most likely never move to the new version LOL!

who has tried it give me a simple pic please. just one of you not everyone or Rick will brain me.

It seems to work just fine, Oma. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I have noticed that the scale in the Polar Inversion effect has changed in 3.20a

Previously the slider would go from -200 to +200 and you could use the arrows to increment by 1, at a time.

The new scale goes from -2.00 to +2.00. When you use the up/down arrows this jumps 1.00 at a time, meaning you go straight from 1.00 to 2.00. You can, of course, manually type in middle increments, if you want 1.25 or 1.5 - but personally, I preferred being able to use the up/down arrows for fine tuning (I'd drag the slider to roughly where I wanted it, then use the arrows to fine tune; I can't do this any more).

Edit The same change also applies to the Roughness setting in Render > Clouds. If you use the up/down arrow keys this can only change the value by a whole integer. The default value is 0.5, but if you use up/down this goes to 0.00 or 1.00, you cannot select anywhere in between. You can still enter values manually or use the slider.

Were these changes intentional for 3.20a? Can they be changed back, or at least have the arrow keys adjust the effect by 0.01 per increment?

-CJ

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

I have spotted an issue related to the Bulge effect in 3.20a

This effect now has a Centre offset - you can click in the box and drag around, this works fine. You can move each of the horizontal and vertical sliders with the mouse, this works fine. However, if you start with the offset at 0.00,0.00 and use the up/down arrow keys to adjust the offset, both the horizontal and vertical values get stuck at either +0.29 or -0.29 and will not go any further.

If you start at a value greater or less than +/-29 you can continue to use the up/down arrows all the way to +1.00/-1.00.

This only happens if the starting value is between -0.28 to +0.28

EDIT: The Radial Blur, Zoom Blur and Twist effects also suffers from the same issue.

Additional

Problem with adjusting values in Gaussian Blur, Unfocus and Motion Blur.

When using the up/down arrows in the dialog(s) to change the values, if you hold either of the arrows depressed for about 2 seconds the slider will stay locked and the value will continue to increase/decrease all the way to the max/min value. You cannot interrupt or stop the slider from moving all the way to the far end. The Radius value in Median suffers from the same issue; however, the slider in the Pixellate effect does not suffer from this.

Tile Reflection - when using the up/down arrow keys to adjust the Tile Size, this should increase/decrease by 1.00 per increment. However, if you used the up/down arrow keys to adjust the values (either by continuous depression, or by multiple repeated clicking) the value after the decimal point will start to change (first to .99, then to .98) meaning that the value is not going up/down by exactly 1.00 each time (probably by something like 0.995). The 'Coverage' setting in the Add Noise effect also suffers from this.

-CJ

PKRM.png

I'm just wondering, there are a few effects still which could use a feature to select the center of the effect, like Polar Inversion. Any chance of these being implemented?

Also, I've found when drawing a line, if you use the nodes normally then try and do a bezier curve with the same line, it dosen't do that. It just continues as if it was dragging the node normally.

Also, if you click on a point on any scale and miss the pointer, it will automaticlly go either the highest or lowest amount. Can this be fixed?

so is there any why i can go back to 3.10 until all the bugs and stuff are fixed i was having trouble with my paint anyhow but now with the bugs i dont want to have more problems my problems before were more with my puter than paint itself

You can simply uninstall 3.20a, and then go to the main Paint.NET website and download the stable 3.10 version.

EDIT:

If you are uninstalling Paint.NET, copy the Effects folder to a temporary location first. Once you have re-installed the previous version you can copy the contents of the effects folder back to the proper location

I should have made this more clear in the original post, thanks to vvv 'Leif' vvv for pointing this out below.

PKRM.png

nope cause then i would have to do my pluggins all over and thts not happening thanks though

so is there any why i can go back to 3.10 until all the bugs and stuff are fixed i was having trouble with my paint anyhow but now with the bugs i dont want to have more problems my problems before were more with my puter than paint itself

You can simply uninstall 3.20a, and then go to the main Paint.NET website and download the stable 3.10 version.

nope cause then i would have to do my pluggins all over and thts not happening thanks though

Copy the content of the plug-in folder to another location. And copy it back when you have reinstalled.

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

I think i found a bug

i read already that sepia is doing the effect black and white, but when i tried to undo sepia (black and white) half of it was back to normal, but the other half was then sepia, if you undo again then it completely is back to normal

1000sigwithout1000.png

My deviantART iGraphix

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this on your page if you're one of the 4% who will.

skilletism (n.) - The abnormal liking of the band "Skillet". (see PANHEAD)

panhead n. - an individual who shows extreme enthusiasm for the band Skillet. Generally driving for hours to concerts with frying pans riding shotgun.

Whoa whoa there...sepia is not black & white (grayscale). ;)

Watch me have misinterpreted you there, but for 3.20a it is. :P

If you were to fiddle with applying Sepia, undoing, applying... then you can achieve full Sepia as you once could, but it's a little hit-and-miss.