A question on making glass-like borders for a chess board

I have a tutorial request, or at least a "how to" request. I'm trying to make a chess board, and I have the borders almost done, but I want to make them look like glass, i.e I want to be able to see the color underneath them. I have tried to do this with the different layer overlay options, but I'm not getting the results I want...frankly I'm not exactly sure what I want, but I'm hoping someone can take what I have and fiddle with it to make it look more glassy, yet keep the same gradients that are already there. I hope this is enough clarification, if not, let me know what other info I can give you. Thanks guys, here's what I have so far:

6777_e9cc5feb9e95ccc940be87bd92bf7905

Creating a glassy looking board requires a lot of thought. Layering and gradients are huge factors in doing such a project and you should think about incorporating a massive number of layers to accomplish this. The typical shine you refer to would be surface reflection via white gradient sharply edged and somewhat random.

What you ask is no quick or easy feat, at least not for something that appears realistic. I will see if I can do this But ash has produced some glass blocks in the pictorium you should look at in his latest flower piece.

retired from PDN forums. Later dewds

Vern that's awesome, how did you do it? I'm really looking for just the borders like Oma said, but if you enlighten me on how to do the glass, or where to go to find out, I should be able to fiddle around and get the borders to look the way I want, and I will forever be in your debt. :D

Thanks guys.

The top later is just super transparent white gradient and dents with tiles reflection. really it depends on how you are using the effects. I dont have a 360 degree glass methodology yet a lot of the glass texture is heavilly dependant on everything else. its just not something thats a one method answer to every use.

retired from PDN forums. Later dewds

Tut20request-1.png

this is just your grid semi glassy right click and save as .png extension and you can try over your image see if that's what you need. works best on images with multiple colors try to stay away from black backgrounds as your original grid didn't have enough gradiants. if you want just a slight tint of a blue will give a bit more glass look.