noise or gain filter

Most noise reducers are done by simply smoothing out and image with JPG Artifact removal being the exception.

So to "denoise" an image in Paint.net I would use "Soften Portrait" effect then possibly adjust with "Curves" (down) using luminance.

rendersig1.png

eric

There was a handy Beta plugin for noise removal based off the GREYCstoration noise removal algorithm. Unfortunately, in the spam attack on the old forum and the subsequent move, the thread was lost. I've taken the liberty of mirroring the plugin on my site since it seems like the creator does not intend to return.

If you wish to give it a try, the ZIP is here: http://cmdsketchpad.com/pdn/GREYCstoration_pdn.zip

Both the DLL and the EXE go in the Effects folder, and the command prompt window popping up is normal. The EXE is actually the GREYCstoration program itself, and it uses the command line interface to function. The DLL serves as the interface between PDN and the GREYC program, passing the current layer and the necessary parameters to the program in the way the program expects to run the noise cancellation on that layer.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Remember, that plugin's very buggy. It doesn't work very well if you have alpha in your image, and it can crash PDN. So remember to save before you use it!

Note that the plugin has never crashed for me except when doing the one thing against which the plugin author cautioned - closing the command prompt window while the effect was running. As long as you let the algorithm finish its work, you should be fine. :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Remember, that plugin's very buggy. It doesn't work very well if you have alpha in your image, and it can crash PDN. So remember to save before you use it!

Note that the plugin has never crashed for me except when doing the one thing against which the plugin author cautioned - closing the command prompt window while the effect was running. As long as you let the algorithm finish its work, you should be fine. :wink:

Never for me either. But apparently, it has a big propensity (maybe depending upon how complicated the selection is) to crash PDN.

[edit] After tests, it can get very slow. Enough for me to eat some three-cheese lasagna.

It's never crashed on me, either. Darn slow, though.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Sure! Give me a calculator, and I'll get right on it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.