How to add horizointal lines on top/bottom of a header

Brett445

Hi everyone

Could someone kindly tell me how I can add a horizontal line of around 4px across both the top and bottom of my website header.

many Thanks

Cheers

Brett :D

Sure!

1. Create a new layer :AddNewLayer: and move it to the bottom with the "down" arrow.

2. Go to Image > Canvas Size...

3. Uncheck "Constrain" and add eight to the Width box. Make sure that the icon in the bottom right is set to the center.

4. Using the Bucket Fill, fill the bottom layer with your desired border color.

Once you save, you have a perfect border!

EDIT: Okay, that'll work. But I just realized there's a much easier way.

1. Right-click on the color (in the Colors window in the bottom-left) you want your border to be.

2. Follow steps 2 and 3 above.

PdN will automatically add the border!

Hope that helps!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Hi David and others

Thanks for helping (again)

Sorry- but I couldnt get it to work.

I tried the easier way first then the harder way but failed on both.

I selected my color.

When I clicked canvas size there is no "constraint" box that you referred to. There is "by absolute size" which wouldnt let me unselect it. Under that is "maintain aspect ratio which is not selected.

In the pixel size boxes I put 8 into the width box and left the vertical which was 150 (the height of the header).

When I clicked ok I got a slather of the original header - 8 pixels wide and 150 deep showing.

Could you try again. Sorry but I have so little experiance with this.

Cheers

Brett :D

When I clicked canvas size there is no "constraint" box that you referred to. There is "by absolute size" which wouldnt let me unselect it. Under that is "maintain aspect ratio which is not selected.

Apologies! I meant "Maintain aspect ratio," not "Constrain." Too used to another program. :-)

In the pixel size boxes I put 8 into the width box and left the vertical which was 150 (the height of the header).

No, no, add 8 to the width. Whatever the width is, add 8 to it, and type that in. (So, if it's 50, type in 58).

Does that help?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Why don't you just tell me what's wrong? From my directions, you should be getting it...

Brett,

Create your banner image so that it is 8 pixels shorter in height than you want the finished article.

I've done this example so that it is 600px wide x 142px high, because I want it to end up 150px high.

MyBanner1.png

Set your secondary colour to be the colour you want the top/bottom border, I made mine black. (You can do this by right-clicking on the chosen colour in the colour window).

Click on IMAGE at the top of the screen and go to Canvas Size (press CTRL+SHIFT+R)

Untick 'Maintain Aspect Ratio', change the height of the canvas to 150px (or the total height you want it to be).

Make sure the anchor is set to Middle.

MyBanner2.png

When you press OK, the canvas will be increased to your new chosen size, and the extra space will be filled with the colour you have chosen.

MyBanner3.png

Hope this helps.

CJ.

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

David and CJ

You guys are great - and really patient.

Before I try again I wanted to ask if the top border on the header can be thiner than the bottom border?

If you could take a look at the following website you can see what I'm after - I'd like to copy what they have done;

http://www.todays-women-and-health.com/index.html

Now what confuses me about these border lines is that the fellow whose template I have purchased to upgrade the look of my site told me this morning in reference to the horizontal borders on the header at the above url "thats just part of the graphic. Lines added to it. Very simple, any graphics program will allow u to do that."

But if I click on that header and select view image the border lines are not there!

And there are no border lines set in the page source but there is a line of code that says;

Logo

So that suggests the border lines are part of another grahic- a background one. Is that right? But I dont know what that is all about.

Could you set me straight on this before I doing any thing else with my header.

Much appreciated

Brett

Yes, but you can make it using Paint.NET.

1. Select the color you want for your lines.

2. Image > Canvas Size.

3. Uncheck "Maintain Aspect Ratio"

4. Add two to the number in the "width" box.

5. Make sure it's on center.

6. Hit ok.

7. Image > Canvas Size again.

8. Add four to the number in the "width" box.

9. Change the centering option to "top."

10. Hit ok.

This will allow you to make a line of one pixel on top and five pixels on the bottom (1+4). Does this help?

Glad to help!